Windows 10 Incredible CPU and Memory Usage

Matthew Corrigan

I'm at the edge of giving up. No matter what I do, what I uninstall or install, how many antivirus scans I do, how closely I watch for what's causing spikes, I can't fix these performance issues. Huge swathes of my CPU and Memory usage are lost on totally invisible processes. I have 8gb of RAM, and THIS is my usage while pretty much idle. As you can imagine, gaming has become nearly impossible. Last time I tried, my CPU gave up and I bluescreened.
As I type this, I'm only running Chrome and iTunes and I'm at 70% memory usage. On top of that, usually about double my actual CPU usage is being used at all times by some invisible force. Please help :(

Attachments

• needhelp.png
    needhelp.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 386
I remember seeing a solution for this recently but i'll be damned if i can find it. I did a little search but nope. I did however come across this:

Did you try disabling 'superfetch'?
I did. It hasn't resolved my issue with disc usage.

So I got my hands on RamMap to attempt to diagnose the insane RAM usage, and this is the result. As you can see I'm currently running a full computer scan, but thus far to no avail.

*I have no clue what the stuff on RAMMap means, by the way, but I thought it may help diagnose an issue*
upload_2016-12-19_15-56-15.png

Doing a full virus scan on a infected hard drive may not find anything. What you need to do is to run a standalone anti-virus and malware program. I have used this free program and it found files missed by anti-virus and anti-malware programs. It is called the Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit. Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit: Portable malware scanner | Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers and Trojans Update the signature database before scanning.
I noticed that you are using AVG. Which version are you using? I don't like AVG because it uses too much RAM memory and resources. I used a paid internet security software by Kaspersky which has less effect on my computer memory and resources.

Doing a full virus scan on a infected hard drive may not find anything. What you need to do is to run a standalone anti-virus and malware program. I have used this free program and it found files missed by anti-virus and anti-malware programs. It is called the Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit. Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit: Portable malware scanner | Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers and Trojans Update the signature database before scanning.
I noticed that you are using AVG. Which version are you using? I don't like AVG because it uses too much RAM memory and resources. I used a paid internet security software by Kaspersky which has less effect on my computer memory and resources.

What do you mean update the signature database? It's the free version, although I've been meaning to switch

I'd be running malwarebytes on the machine which is known to be very good at finding malware and removing it. Install the trial and then go to safe mode and let it do it's thing. I'd also be uninstalling AVG, have had nothing but trouble with it eating resources for many of years. I'm personally using just defender and malwarebytes which have low mem, cpu and disk usage.

Do the Malwarebytes first and if your computer is not much better then use Emergency Kit. One software doesnt fix everything.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Also looking at whats loaded memory usage doesn't seem bad to me. The high disk usage though looks ot be caused by AVG thrashing the disk for some reason.

Anybody have anything on the RAM usage? You can see in this screenshot after a restart how the RAM slowly climbs, and the CPU spiking above it. Refer also to the RAMmap screenshot above.
upload_2016-12-19_16-48-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-19_16-46-36.png
    upload_2016-12-19_16-46-36.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 351
Also looking at whats loaded memory usage doesn't seem bad to me. The high disk usage though looks ot be caused by AVG thrashing the disk for some reason.
When I restarted my computer, after uninstalling AVG, the usage was at 77%, idle. It slowly climbs to the point of being unusable, I shouldn't be under this much pressure while idle. Currently only running chrome and at 45%
Refer to the original screenshot, take a look at memory usage.

I'm only running chrome and with 16gb I'm at 35%, how is the disk usage without? Give the system around 10 minutes to settle before checking disk usage as just after boot it's still loading windows so disk usage can be very high.

I'm running a malwarebytes scan, this is what I have. Note the incremental increase in RAM usage.That's been slowly climbing.
upload_2016-12-19_17-10-12.png

You need to run that scan in safe mode for the best affect. Also while in safe mode check memory usage

Currently running Malwarebytes scan in safemode, it's only found PUPs. The memory usage seems a bit more understandable at only 33% on chrome while doing the scan, though, and the CPU doesn't seem to be operating in excess of what's being caused by the scan.

Back
Top Bottom