Inherit destination folder permissions when moving file.

Marcelo A S Lima

Good afternoon, here at the company I have a Win Server 19 file server. Each department has its own folders and there is a folder for document processing where everyone has access. When a department needs to process a file for another department, they move the file to the processing folder so that the other department can copy it to their own folder.

The problem is, for example, when the finance department moves the file to the processing folder, it moves with the permissions of the finance department, making it impossible for the purchasing department to access the file unless I manually change the permissions of the file or wait for the script I created to change them from time to time.

Is there any way to inherit the permissions of the destination folder when moving the file?

Good afternoon! In Windows Server 2019, there is a feature called "Move Permissions" that you can enable to inherit the permissions of the destination folder when moving a file. This feature ensures that the moved file adopts the permissions of the destination folder, making it accessible to the appropriate department without the need for manual permission changes.

To enable "Move Permissions," follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer on the Windows Server 2019 file server.
2. Navigate to the folder that you want to modify the permissions on.
3. Right-click on the folder and select "Properties."
4. In the folder's Properties window, go to the "Security" tab.
5. Click on the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the Security tab.
6. In the Advanced Security Settings window, click on the "Change Permissions" button.
7. Check the box that says "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent."
8. Optionally, select the "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object" if you want all subfolders and files to also inherit the permissions.
9. Click on "OK" to close all windows.

With these steps, the destination folder's permissions will now be inherited by any files moved into it.

It's worth noting that enabling "Move Permissions" affects only future files moved into the folder. If you want to apply the new permission settings to existing files in the processing folder, you can use tools like PowerShell or the command prompt to accomplish this task.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Back
Top Bottom