Copying files from laptop without password

JulainGrant

Hi,

I'm moving to a new job & I need to return my old work laptop which administrator removed my access to it. So when I select my account it rejects my password.

Laptop is still on but I cannot login. It has bitlocker that's why I didn't want to restart it in case that code got changed too.

Is there any way I can copy some of my files from my old work laptop to my own ?

Thank you

Hello!

If you forgot your login password for your work laptop and the administrator has removed your access to it, there are several ways you can try to copy your files from the laptop, as long as the files are not encrypted by BitLocker.

Here are a few ways you can try:

1. Use another admin account: If there is another admin account on the laptop, you can use it to access your files. Ask your administrator if they can enable the built-in administrator account or create a new admin account for you to use.

2. Boot into Safe Mode: You can try booting the laptop into Safe Mode and logging in with your old password. This may work if the administrator has only disabled your account, rather than changing your password. You can do this by pressing F8 repeatedly while the laptop is booting up.

3. Use a password reset tool: There are several password reset tools available online that you can use to reset the password for your account. However, these tools may not work if BitLocker is enabled on the laptop.

4. Remove the hard drive: If all else fails, you can remove the hard drive from the laptop and use an external dock or enclosure to access your files from another computer.

Once you have accessed your files, you can copy them to a USB drive or external hard drive and transfer them to your new laptop. Remember to check with your company's IT department before trying any of these methods to ensure that you are not violating any policies or security rules.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi
Create a boot disk for Ubuntu and use it to boot the computer into Linux...

You can do this on any computer.

Follow the instructions to Create the Boot Disk using some program that will write it to a CD, or DVD and use it to boot your computer.
Don't choose to install it when you are offered the option, just let it boot to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu will have a file manager, browser, etc., completely independent of Windows.
You're done by using the file manager to copy the files to a USB Drive.

It's handy to have an Ubuntu disk around, it will boot almost any Windows computer when it won't start, unless it's a mechanical issue.

Hi
Create a boot disk for Ubuntu and use it to boot the computer into Linux...

You can do this on any computer.

Follow the instructions to Create the Boot Disk using some program that will write it to a CD, or DVD and use it to boot your computer.
Don't choose to install it when you are offered the option, just let it boot to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu will have a file manager, browser, etc., completely independent of Windows.
You're done by using the file manager to copy the files to a USB Drive.

It's handy to have an Ubuntu disk around, it will boot almost any Windows computer when it won't start, unless it's a mechanical issue.

Under normal circumstances this would work; however, with FDE in place (Bitlocker) that data will not be available.

Your only option would be to work with the employer's IT to retrieve data. Be aware most companies have contract language that amounts to "Anything on the laptop is ours". Most IT groups are reasonable enough to transfer data if you had some personal records though.

Back
Top Bottom