Windows 10 install older application

craig swift

Hello
Need help on installing an older(2004) application onto Windows 10. I had a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 which was successfully running the app, and even when I upgraded for free to Windows 10 it was still running fine. I believe it was running in compatibility mode of Windows XP(SP2).
I recently purchased a new HP laptop running Windows 10, but I am not sure how to install the app to it. I copied the app files onto the new computer and tried running the installation file with the compatibility mode, but does not want to install. It states "wrong OS or OS version" or "unknown error detected".

What application, do you have the installer? Many applications can't be simply copied to a new computer.

The application is a land surveying program which I use for work to manipulate points, create linework,etc. I am not sure what the installer is? The program folder contains an installation file for Windows 95, and another for Me or 2000, also has a parser file?

Windows 10 pro - hyper V
I would install the software as a Virtual windows 7 or XP and run it from there

Hi

First I'd try installing the software from the Windows 2000 installer in compatibility mode and see if that works.
Since you had it running in Windows 10 previously there's a good chance that it would work.

If not...

Can you get a newer version of the software?
You might be better off to spring for the update since it's for work anyway.

Can you give us the name of the software?

And you can always do as Usnorway suggested it you can't do a standard install.

Mike

Hi,
You might also check whether your app will run in BOTH 32bit as well as 64bit mode.:lightbulb: If your new HP laptop is a 64bit CPU with 64bit W10/W10 Pro OS, and the app was only written to run in 32bit mode as many W7 apps were *especially if you were running it in compatibility mode* which means the app was even older*, it may refuse to run on your new 64bit laptop.:waah: It would certainly help if you gave us the entire model number of the laptop so we can look it up and find that information for you. Otherwise, you can simply google how to check; it's easy; just right-click your mouse on the White-Flag button (where the Start button used to be in W7), and on the menu, click on System and it will tell you your basic OS and Hardware configuration including your OS type (32bit or 64bit) along with your CPU and how much RAM you have in the laptop.

If this is your problem, you may not be able to run it even with HyperV or VMware which are virtual OS programs. As Mike suggested, at that point, you'd problably want to contact the app maker and see if they have a newer version of the app (since this one sounds about 15 years old), even something written for W7/W8x is much more likely to run on a 64bit laptop in W10. My guess is that your app is indeed 32bit and it may refuse to run on your 64bit laptop. There are lots of apps like that. If the company is out of business, you may want to google around and see if they had any competitors and contact them for a modern version of the other company's product (such as something written for 64bit PCs like W7/W8x/W10).

Lastly, if it's for work and you have an IT department, you can contact them and see what they are running for other people performing the same task as you (surveying). If you work for a City, County, State, or Federal agency it's quite likely they have found a substitute product for the ancient one you are using is defunct or the maker has gone out of business.:scratch: Further, they can probably get you one known to work on 64bit PCs AND with W10. It certainly would be worth your time to make the phone call!:andwhat: And they might even be able to supply it to you for free if they have purchased a site-wide license for their Agency.:D

Best,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEAREJEDI>>>>

The application is a land surveying program which I use for work to manipulate points, create linework,etc. I am not sure what the installer is? The program folder contains an installation file for Windows 95, and another for Me or 2000, also has a parser file?

The main reason why go back to the windows 8 is the compatibility issue. You cannot just copy the folder of your application and then move it to another computer. better to find the installer of app and try to run it with compatibility mode.

Software compatibility is one reason business is so slow to move to a new OS. Many have exotic software that doesn't get updated to new a OS. That was also a factor in business hanging on to XP for so long.
Joe

Back