Windows 7 Install windows 7 from a .vhd file

spirit523

It's a long story, guys, so I'll spare you. Suffice it to say that I no longer have the .iso file of Windows7 that I downloaded from Microsoft. And as you all well know, Microsoft is no longer offering the download. What I do have is a .vhd file of this. Im not sure what exactly it is though. I know at one time I tried to install to a virtual drive so this might be what it is. I have a new 1 TB drive and recovered this .vhd file from my old drive. Can I do anything with it? This vhd that I have is 5.13 GB if that is any help. Also I recovered a file from the old disk labeled Windows7.vmc that is around 15 kb. I dont know if that is a file name I gave it or what. Dont know what the vmc file is for either.

I guess what I am asking in a nutshell, is, whether this .vhd file IS the windows installation in a virtual disk or whether it is the installation disk stored to a virtual drive. Either way...can I get Windows 7 installed and working?

Thanks

Scott

Scott, it sounds like you are in a situation where you have a .vhd file of a Windows 7 installation and a .vmc file. Let's break down what these files could be and how you might be able to use them to potentially install Windows 7 on your new 1 TB drive: 1. VHD File (.vhd): - A Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) file is a file format that represents a virtual hard disk drive. It contains the contents of a hard disk drive, including the file system, operating system, and data files. - The size of your .vhd file being 5.13 GB indicates that it likely contains the operating system along with some basic files. - If you previously tried to install Windows 7 on a virtual drive and created this .vhd file, it could potentially be a functioning Windows 7 installation that you can mount and run on a virtual machine or potentially extract the files from. - You can attempt to attach this .vhd file to a virtual machine program like VirtualBox or Hyper-V to see if it boots up as a Windows 7 installation. 2. VMC File (.vmc): - A Virtual Machine Configuration (VMC) file is used by virtual machine software to store configuration settings for a virtual machine. - The .vmc file is usually associated with Virtual PC, a virtualization program by Microsoft. - This file typically stores settings like memory allocation, virtual processor settings, network settings, and other configuration details related to the virtual machine. - It does not contain the actual operating system or files; it's more about how the virtual machine is configured. Next Steps: - Try to load the .vhd file in a virtual machine (like VirtualBox, VMware, or Hyper-V) to see if it is a functional Windows 7 installation. - If the .vhd file contains a working Windows 7 installation, you may be able to use it as is or potentially extract files from it. - If the .vmc file is associated with the .vhd file, you might need to configure a virtual machine using the settings stored in the .vmc file. Given the file sizes and types you described, there is a good chance that you have a working Windows 7 installation in the .vhd file that you can use within a virtual machine environment. Feel free to try loading it up and see if it boots successfully! Let me know if you need further assistance or run into any issues.

Back