Installation = massively annoying, and wasting my time

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by OllG, Dec 13, 2009.

1. OllG

OllG New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Over the course of trying to fix my pc, I've ran into problem after problem through the installation and getting to the point I might just simply go back to a fresh installation of XP; far too much hassle for something I was looking forward to.

First of all I'd like to explain my problem, My strong system with decent hardware decided to run slowely one night after being on for a good while. So i thought meh this is weird, it's just been on a while. I restart and i get the slow freezing so i determine I'm stuffed basically and go for a fresh install of an OS, and I thought hey I might aswell give Windows 7 a go, i've heard good things as apposed to vista whiched i've never touched.

So i'm going from a faulty XP system - > Windows 7.
    I'm using a Pro edition from my Uni microsoft msdn. First of all I don't know if it's my DVD writing capabilities that are at fault or not, i've made about 7 different versions now and the errors coming from the installations aren't useful in the slightest. First time I ran it I had a problem saying something about offline locale, this appears towards the end of the installation, which isn't a short job. So i read the problem was down to partitioning that was there from my old XP installation, it randomly made a 12mb partition with nothing in it, so i remove it... really informative error message.

Then i fixed that i get something about corrupted files, so I read guides on getting a decent burnt iso image, and I'm at the stage now where I have one good copy, i know it's fine and my others probably are too.

Now I'm getting to the end of the installations and I'm getting problems about a corrupt file in my iso relating to amd64, when I don't have an amd system, it advises me to run a chkdsk, but i can't set one to run because i cant boot my system up from my faulty XP failings, so now I've got a system that can't even run a chuffing simple installation, and I'm supposed to chkdsk a perfectly fine formatted drive.

Any advise on how to solve this nuisence of a installation is greatly appreciated, my system's been out of use for about 4 days now and I need to use it, so if I don't get it solved soon I'm simply going to go elsewhere to a different OS; I know this is only an advise service but well... I'm hopeful someone can help

So basically I'm wondering how to solve this chkdsk problem. Cheers
  2. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Did you try downloading the ISO again to see if it was corrupt? When you burn use slowest speed 4X max. You can use Imagburn The Official ImgBurn Website I assume this a legit ISO download and not from torrent sites. Did you format the Drive?