Windows 7 Installing on Dell T5400 server. HELP!

paulckruger

I bouoght a dual quad Xeon workstation that I want to use for 3d graphics rendering. Price was right but if came with no OS. It has a Vista key label but I want to install Windows 7 Pro 64 on this machine.

I found a number of forums where people talk about using W7 and on the Dell site it says the machine is compatible with basic W7 functions so it should work.

Problem is I cannot get it to install because it can not find "suitable drivers". I have all the drivers available from Dell for Vista. There are no Win7 drivers.

How can I get past that driver barrier and install Windows 7 and install the Vista drivers? Is there a way I can load it using another machine as a source? I have the same OS on a couple other machines although the other is an i7 quad. The video cards are the exact same model.

I put CentOS on the machine but that is a real pain when you are trying to exist on an otherwise all windows network. Also Dax3d would have to run in WINE and that does not seem to want to install either.

What if I got a Vista install disk and use the key on the box then upgrade to 7?

Shame to have a really fast linux door stop!
:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom