Windows 7 Intel is investigating reports of counterfeit Core i7 processors being sold to businesses and consum

reghakr

Essential Member
Intel is investigating reports of counterfeit Core i7 processors being sold to businesses and consumers.

The company is looking into claims that a shipment of 300 fake Core i7-920 processors had been sent to respected parts seller Newegg from a partner. “Newegg is currently conducting a thorough investigation surrounding recent shipments of questionable Intel Core i7-920 CPUs purchased from Newegg.com,” said the company in a statement. “Initial information we received from our supplier, IPEX, stated that they had mistakenly shipped us demo units.

We have since come to discover that the CPUs were counterfeit, and are terminating our relationship with this supplier. “Contrary to any speculation, D&H Distributing is not the vendor that supplied us with the Intel Core i7-920 CPUs in question.” One buyer posted a video of his purchase on YouTube.

The box looked realistic but contained a chip without mounting pins, a manual consisting of blank pages and a non-functional plastic model of a fan.

Source: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
Counterfeits suck.
Besides the obvious sting to the unwitting consumer, they erode confidence in respectable companies like Newegg.
Could be worse though, what it the device had a phony pinout.
I'd imagine installing it would ruin a mothorboard.
These folks don't care who they hurt.

Remember the phony prescription meds that came from China.
These had the potential to kill people.

Last edited:
Back