Windows 8 Internet Explorer Question

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
This may not be the right place for this question, but if not, maybe someone can direct me to a forum as good as this one?

I have been considering changing from Google Chrome to Internet Explorer because of reported lower power consumption of Internet Explorer. I have experimented with importing bookmarks from Google Chrome to IE. Yeah, it works, BUT, all of the Bookmarks/Favorites end up in alphabetic order! And even worse, it seems extremely difficult to change the order of Favorites. Maybe I am missing something?

I would appreciate any advice/insight about IE and how to manage Favorites organization.

Thanks for any advice, Jim

Have you looked at firefox? I would/ do use that over IE... you can auto-import the files from IE as part of the firefox install and they can be changed as needed.

p.s. what has power consumption got to do with anything?

Have you looked at firefox? I would/ do use that over IE... you can auto-import the files from IE as part of the firefox install and they can be changed as needed.

p.s. what has power consumption got to do with anything?

Power consumption relates directly to battery life. Maybe not important to you, but for me, I use my laptop on my lap, not on a desktop connected to AC. I have no other reason to switch from Google Chrome to IE.

Thanks, JIm

IE is just an irritating browser i think you should consider getting more batteries rather then changing browser, just a suggestion.

From where did you get this power consumption story. I have never heard of a thing like that.

If you want your own order in the IE favorites, put them into folders that you can name as you please. You are not missing anything - they will be alphabetical.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I am finding that IE is an irritating browser. Alphabetical order only is absurd!

Most laptop forums, for instance Lenovo and Asus, have threads that claim Google Chrome uses more power than IE. And there have been articles claiming that IE has become a great browser with low power consumption. It may have low power consumption, but the alphabetical thing is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks again, Jim

Ie has a low frills version built into the metro screen… the point of this is that add-ons like tool bars/ other plug-ins, use more CPU power. The metro screen in windows 8 (8.1) and phones make use of this browser to run faster without getting clogged up with junk.

Use the browser that fits your needs;

Ie (the desk top version) is built to appeal to business network users and (by deliberate design) isn't very customizable… chrome is aimed squarely at young people wanting to play/ listen to media and Firefox is fully customizable for people that want complete control over what their computer is doing.

Ie has a low frills version built into the metro screen… the point of this is that add-ons like tool bars/ other plug-ins, use more CPU power. The metro screen in windows 8 (8.1) and phones make use of this browser to run faster without getting clogged up with junk.

Use the browser that fits your needs;

Ie (the desk top version) is built to appeal to business network users and (by deliberate design) isn't very customizable… chrome is aimed squarely at young people wanting to play/ listen to media and Firefox is fully customizable for people that want complete control over what their computer is doing.

Thanks for your reply.

I like Google Chrome because with a Google account, I can synchronize bookmarks between PCs. I have two laptops and one desktop. Bookmark synchronization gives me freedom to work on any of the three PCs and any change I make to bookmarks shows up on either of the other two PCs when I boot to that PC.

I was hoping that IE, with a Microsoft account would do the same thing and give lower power consumption. But, alphabetical bookmarks is a deal breaker.

I used Firefox for many years, but switched to Chrome when Firefox lagged badly with versions for Windows 8/8.1.

Jim

Back