Windows 7 Is there a way to always show portable devices in My Computer?

nufo

Such as a mouse, a mobile, or an external drive.
I mean make them visible (in My Computer) even though they're not connected so it's easier to remember what devices I use. My memory is awful, don't ask.
Obviously I know I wouldn't be able to access the files unless the devices were connected, but the point is to make their icons show up as if they were connected even though they won't actually be of any use.

Is this possible at all, and if it is, where can I find a tutorial?

The thing is, devices listed under My Computer are storage devices. And when you open My Computer, you are really starting Windows Explorer, the program used for "file management" of your "storage" devices. Keyboards and mice are not storage devices and should not be showing up even when plugged in.

As for your external storage device, you don't want it showing up if not connected. If Windows "thinks" there is a storage device attached but cannot find one, that often results in excessively long boot times, or worse - failure to boot.

so it's easier to remember what devices I use.
I guess my suggestion for keeping track of devices you regularly detach is to ensure you always put them on the same shelf.

Back