Windows 7 it take lot of time to see network computers

bluewing

ive installed win7 in my laptop. when i wanna view network computers from start->network, it take lot of time. others systems in my house run on xp over wifi network. i have put all the computers in workgroup. in some cases i dont even see computers in the network. do any one got solution for time consumption to view network computers? it really irritates:(. help please.....:razz:

I have noticed that as well. When i bring my notebook from sleep and open windows explorer I have to wait 15-20 seconds for it to scan the network again its very annoying considering windows xp was instant. Seems like Windows 7 has to rediscover the entire network system every time you turn on computer or come back from sleep mode instead of relying on what is already there.

hi, i also have had this problem. i have 2 computers running windows 7 on my network, i am by no means a professional and really don't even know what i'm doing, but I have found that by setting my DNS Server addresses manually instead of automatic I can veiw the folders of network computers instantly instead of having a 15-20 second lag

Not sure I even understand what your saying you did with the DNS server addresses. Are you talking about setting your router to assign specific ip addresses to each computer? If so I already do this and it does not make a difference.

no,

In my case i went to my router config page and found out what my DNS addresses were, then went to:

control panal, network sharing center, click your local area connection and go to properties, click internet protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to properties, I am assuming yours will be set to obtain DNS server addresses automatically. I changed that to use the numbers i got from my router.

gotcha lol had a brain fart there. I havent used those settings in a long time.. well so far seems to be instant connect now thank you much for sharing your info with the community its appreciated.

Now the only thing I have a problem with is this. I have 2 other computers shared into my notebook so I can access them. One computer I can change the network names in windows explorer the other one I cannot. really strange.

no,

In my case i went to my router config page and found out what my DNS addresses were, then went to:

control panal, network sharing center, click your local area connection and go to properties, click internet protocol 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to properties, I am assuming yours will be set to obtain DNS server addresses automatically. I changed that to use the numbers i got from my router.

Hi, I have a simular problem.
I have 3 computers conneted to a router.
PC 1 - win 7 It sees the others fine and network detects the computers automaticly - no problems
PC 2 - win 7 (is the problem one) It sees PC 1 All the time but has problems detecting PC 3
PC 3 - windows XP Pro sp3 - Like PC 1 all OK

I tried your DNS suggestion and did not work for PC 2
But when I put back the automatic detection of DNS it suddenly got everithing right.

i also mapped to a folder on PC 3 and checked the remap at startup

I restarted PC 2 and It now sees the other 2 will have to remouve the map to see if problem comes back

Will comme back if the problem returns.
Bye, Guy

Last edited:
Back