Windows 7 Kernel-Power Error - Intermitant Freezing & BSOD

Rompa4k

Good afternoon,

My name is Anthony and I have registered here after stumbling across a thread with similar issues to mine.

I am in the processes of currently running a memory test on a PC where I work. It keeps freezing so that I have to kill the power and it will intermittently blue screen. I have looked in the event log and can see that it is a Kernel-Power issue. After Googling I have realised that the error does not really narrow it down any.

I was wondering if someone could take a look at the memory dump file that I have attached to see if it is a software or hardware issue. This will help me massively and I would really appreciate any one who could point me in the right direction.

Apologies, I have tried to attach the memory dump but it is saying the file is too large. Is there another way of getting it to you guys please?

Thank you in advance.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,
you could upload it to a file sharing site of your choice and then post the link.

You could also try changing your settings slightly so only a mindump is produced:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

You will obviously need to blue screen again to get the resulting minidump.

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I have uploaded the memorydump to onedrive, however, I am unable to post links because I have not met the required criteria, do you have an email address that I could forward the link to you please?

I have compressed the file to make it easier to upload. If you need me to do anything more with it then please just let me know.

Thank you again.

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A, {ffffffffe8247510, a, 1, fffff80002ed0740}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( nt!KiPageFault+140 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this bugcheck has these main causes:
This bug check is issued if paged memory (or invalid memory) is accessed when the IRQL is too high.
The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.
If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version.
Reference.

As the probable cause is unknown we'll need to run some tests. First let's see what shape the operating system is in corruption wise.
Find command prompt in the all apps area of the start menu, right click on it and hit properties then run as administrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Please update your system drivers using the versions found on your motherboard support page.

Rt64win7.sys Tue Sep 27 15:50:33 2011: Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet please update, link below:

RTKVHD64.sys Tue Dec 03 12:26:10 2013: Realtek High Definition Audio Function Driver please update, link below:

Include the chipset drivers too (2015 version)
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM2+ - GA-F2A55M-HD2 (rev. 3.0)

I'm not sure what your graphics card is but the driver is pretty old. Try removing it using the Display Driver Uninstaller or DDU. This removes anything left behind by previous installs and makes ready for the next gpu driver.
DDU

Once removed then install the latest driver for your card. The driver finder on the AMD page will let you manually find the correct driver for your set up:
Support & Drivers

Can you please change your settings to this:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

This is in case you bsod again. This time the dump files won't be too large. Please upload any new dump files.

If after making the above changes the bsod still persists then try running the driver verifier. If it falls into a bsod loop simply boot into safe mode and turn it off. The culprit will hopefully be caught on the dumps. This guide will help you:
Driver Verifier - BSOD related - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista - Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support
Post any dump files associated with the verifier as well as any new dump files too.

I forgot to mention that another cause of system freezing is overheating. Just make sure the system is free of dust and that your temperatures are within tolerances. This application is very good at monitoring temp's:
HWiNFO64

Thank you very much!

I will have to continue with this on Monday when im back in work.

I will update this thread with my findings, being a work PC though it is really easy for me to do a clean install of windows as user profiles are stored on the server. I am running the scan on the operating system now.

Thank you for taking the time and going in to so much detail with driver links etc!

Here are the results of the Operating System scan. Corrupt files were found that were unable to be fixed.

Attachments

• CBS.rar
    57.5 KB · Views: 264
Doesn't look all that bad actually. The only files I found which couldn't be repaired are some wallpapers:
Code:
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002fa [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:16{8}]"img9.jpg" of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Wallpaper-Landscapes, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002fb Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..allpaper-landscapes_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_e57abb2f66db71a9\img9.jpg do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"img9.jpg" :
  Found: {l:32 b:LnWGt4LTYrSC22xTBqVZR9HsjYfC+LUgpNqvu4GedSs=} Expected: {l:32 b:zmTycEYLEq7XgkzHw3+NJ2RF8QpbAUw280W8ylmhW3o=}
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002fc [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:16{8}]"img9.jpg" of Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Wallpaper-Landscapes, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002fd [SR] This component was referenced by [l:216{108}]"Microsoft-Windows-Branding-Professional-Client-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514.BPSC Namespace"
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002fe Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Landscapes\img9.jpg do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"img9.jpg" :
  Found: {l:32 b:LnWGt4LTYrSC22xTBqVZR9HsjYfC+LUgpNqvu4GedSs=} Expected: {l:32 b:zmTycEYLEq7XgkzHw3+NJ2RF8QpbAUw280W8ylmhW3o=}
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    000002ff Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-s..allpaper-landscapes_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_e57abb2f66db71a9\img9.jpg do not match actual file [l:16{8}]"img9.jpg" :
2016-04-22 17:00:32, Info                  CSI    00000300 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:78{39}]"\??\C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Landscapes"\[l:16{8}]"img9.jpg"; source file in store is also corrupted

Thank you!

It has not froze once yet so im having difficulty diagnosing it. I will update the drivers and everything this morning and then see what happens after this!

Again, thank you for your help!

Your very welcome, hope all goes well with the updating. Any problems post back.

Good morning,

I have updated everything from the manufacturers website, ran the driver check tool, everything went well. For two days I though the problem was solved but then it has started freezing again. I have got a minidump this time if someone wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me please.

Thank you

Attachments

• 042716-22854-01.dmp
    282 KB · Views: 298
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck BE, {fffff80002ed9510, 2ed9121, fffff880076c7e50, a}

Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi Anthony,
the above bugcheck is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment. As the analysis is inconclusive you will need to run the driver verifier but first try running the SFC scan again. This seemed to help last time so see if it helps again. Find command prompt in the all apps area of the start menu, right click on it and hit properties then run as administrator. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

If the above does work then you might be looking at some corruption with the os itself.

The only drivers that still need updating are the chipset drivers particularly storage drivers:
driver.JPG

If the bsod continues then run the Driver verifier. This guide will help you set it up:
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

If the verifier causes a bsod boot loop then boot into safe mode and turn the verifier off. Hopefully the culprit will have been caught on the dump file.

Post any new dump files.

Thank you again Kemical. There are no blue screens any more though, it just freezes either on on the screen, or the screen goes black and sticks like that.

I will update the chipset drivers but i thought i had done that already. I will follow those steps and get back to you after running it for a couple of days.

Thank you

Sounds good. Also the next time you post can you include the make and model of your:
GPU and PSU.

Back