Windows 8 Laptop acts like power button pressed when Win key pressed on USB keyboard

AlexM

Kinda weird situation here. Whenever the Win key is pressed on my external USB keyboard my laptop does whatever is set to happen when the power button is pressed on my laptop. E.g. sleep or hibernate. This does not happen when the laptop's Win key is pressed, only the external USB keyboard.

I don't think it's a problem with the keyboard itself because I've tested it on my friend's Windows 7 laptop and it functions as normal. Also, after turning the laptop back on whatever I was trying to do with the Win key has happened. E.g. If I do Win + F the laptop goes to standby. After switching it back on the file search panel is open.

I'm not sure when this started happening but it may have been after I did a registry clean with CCleaner. I always check what it's going to change and it seemed fine that time. I also keep backups of the changes which it makes. Restoring the backup didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas?

Are you certain the ext. keyboard is seated appropriately? Have you tried system restore to a point before the problem started? Yu could also try opening an elevated command prompt and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. This might fix any system files that have become corrupted.

I forgot to add that I already tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers (just the generic Windows ones).

I did the sfc scan and some problems were found. Some were fixed but apparently some couldn't be fixed. The log is too big for me to read/understand. The issue still persists after this scan.

What do you mean by seated appropriately? The USB plug is in correctly if that's what you mean. I haven't tried a system restore but to be honest I'm not sure when it started. Less than a week ago though. I'll try that tomorrow if nothing else fixes it.

I forgot to add that I already tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers (just the generic Windows ones).

That's the problem right there, unless it's just a $10 keyboard then the generic driver is/should be fine. However, if the USB keyboard is some what upscale (cost more), then usually there is a specific driver/software for it to work correctly.

What is the make and model of the USB keyboard?

What is the make and model of the USB keyboard?

It's just a basic Logitech one. Model Y-BP62a. It has worked perfectly well for over a year now, it's just some recent change on my system which has messed something up. There are no drivers available from the Logitech site, it says the standard Windows ones are fine.

You mention you tried the keyboard on your friend's Windows7 laptop and it worked; what version of Windows are you running on your laptop? Also, make/model of your laptop would be helpful.

Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like it could be either software (such as Windows file corruption) or a Virus. But, if you run a System Restore, which I would try after your complete a thorough Virus scan, make sure you back up all your personal data to an external hard drive, flash drive, or cd/dvd discs. It's certainly possible that you have corrupted your Registry. There are only 2 tools that we Techs generally endorse for Registry cleanup, and CCleaner is one of them. Though in my opinion those auto-Registry cleanup tools all cause more problems with your Windows than they seem to resolve. If you go through the steps I've just listed and do the System Restore, there is no guarantee that it will undo any PERMANENT damage that CCleaner did to your Registry.

If that's the case, you better hope you have your Laptop Recovery Discs because you'll be left with reinstalling your Windows and and all of your programs *including a disc wipe* to get things back to normal. Sorry to say. :(

BIGBEARJEDI

This is another one of those cases where a full system Image created regularly (I create a new Image at least monthly) could have solved a problem in about 10 minutes.

If you ran sfc a couple of times with corruption still reported, use the command prompt as admin with;

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Also, are you sure your batteries are ok if you are using a wireless keyboard?

Back