Windows 7 Lost secondary logical drive because of bad sektors

peecis

Once I restart my computer-Suddently The partition D was invisible. I gues it's because of bad sektors. There are many softs for XP to solve this like active partition recovery, partition disk doctor and so on, but I couldn't find any soft for win 7! Do I need to instal WINDOWS XP as secound? And how to do it if I have only 1 partition left, where is WIN7 already? Maybe there's any soft wich suport win7?
Has anybody experience with this?

Attachments

• Disk management.jpg
    Disk management.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
First of all - thank you for replay!
I did like you said! First it gave me a message, that I need check disk after I reboot because it will check disk, wich is in use! I did so! But it seems to it checked only system disk named C:
There are screanshots
1(computer) All disc size is 320GB
computer.jpg
2(Disk management) watch uper part and lower part!
Disk management.jpg
3(error, when I tried to change drive letter and path)
error.jpg
reboot didn't solve the problem! :(

Please, please - help me!

Last edited:
Paragon products are pretty good - especially Backup & Recovery. Gives Acronis a good run for its money. Now anyway, if you really have BAD sectors on the drive, you need a serious program to isolate the bad sectors and block them if you want to continue using the drive.

This is not a FILESYSTEM problem, but a physical problem with the drive, that will almost assuredly lead to the drive completely failing down the road.

As you must understand, bad sectors being detected on the drive indicate a problem with the physical condition of the drive itself and not the filesystem on the drive. Hardware wise, the drive is buggy.

Sometimes you can block bad sectors on the drive, and the drive could still last for years, just with less free space. But these days, its very rare. As soon as you start seeing bad sectors, it usually means the drive is going to go -- and go soon.

I used to have a GREAT freeware, bootable hard drive program/cd that scanned the entire drive in a very thorough manner searching for all sorts of problems, and doing stress tests on the drive. What the name of this software is, I can't remember offhand. It was great. Then I gave up on the idea of trying to block bad sectors off crappy/failing drives for people because its just a bad idea. But you could try this (untested):

Ultimate Boot CD - Overview

Now, back to what you SHOULD do, rather than continue to try to fix the drive yourself:

Immediately get all of your files OFF the drive. Do this by any means possible - by a USB/Firewire/or eSATA external or move everything to your primary drive
Start looking at warranty and replacement information
Stop using the drive for anything important
If no warranty and no money - try using HD tools that work on boot-up (not in Windows) to fix the drive. If these tools don't work, consider it a loss and buy a new drive.

Remember, bad sectors on a drive always indicates that part of the drive physically has or is beginning to fail. This means that you are very likely to have a complete drive failure down the road and soon. Any weird noises like churning or clinking and I would say you have a couple days max before the thing just goes on you.

With the price of solid state drives coming down, you might want to look into this as a realistic option for a replacement.

Update: If the drive is fairly new you are almost certainly still under warranty provided you have a receipt for the drive.

It seems to be gone or unallocated space.

Right-click on it in Disk Management and assign a driver letter to it.

If you DVD-ROM is letter D ,change the partition to letter E.

I forgot about the bad sectors that Mike pointed out and in you original post.

I would be checking prices for a new hard drive............quickly

Last edited:
Right-click on it in Disk Management and assign a driver letter to it.

If you DVD-ROM is letter D ,change the partition to letter E.

I forgot about the bad sectors that Mike pointed out and in you original post.

I would be checking prices for a new hard drive............quickly

Respond of trying change letter is:
error.jpg :(

But, can you advise any tool to get know if this partition gone because of bad sector surely?
Just My friend said so (it seems so), but i'm not shure

Respond of trying change letter is:
View attachment 5198 :(

But, can you advise any tool to get know if this partition gone because of bad sector surely?
Just My friend said so (it seems so), but i'm not shure

You need to do a chkdsk /r /f on the drive.

Start -> cmd -> chkdsk /r /f

If the partition disappeared the drive is probably starting to fail. After you reboot you can go into the Event Viewer and see what the results were of the drive scan. You need to begin the process of getting anything important off the drive immediately. Here is a way to get 2GB of free storage space online to back up some of your stuff:

Dropbox Online Backup

I would suggest you start backing up now!

It's not really a secondary drive, it's you complete hard drive.

Can you right-click on the unassigned drive and see if the Format command is grayed out?

Also,see if you can set it as Active.

Consider this a test as you will still need a new hard drive before you get the "Click of Death" (which means you won't be able to recover anything on the drive.)

Last edited:
I would suggest you start backing up now!

I would like to back up my files on invisible partition D: There's very mach of necessary information!
But, how to do that?

P.S. Where to check information in event wiever about: chkdsk /r? (I have already done it!)

I would like to back up my files on invisible partition D: There's very mach of necessary information!
But, how to do that?

P.S. Where to check information in event wiever about: chkdsk /r? (I have already done it!)

Start -> Search -> compmgmt.msc

System Tools
Event Viewer
Windows Logs
It should be under "Winlogon" with the details of the chkdsk listed. There will be a long list and you can filter the results, but you may well just scroll through to find it.

right-click on the of size 139.28 in the center! (in image1) drive and see Active are " change drive letter" ..., " format" , " delite volume" , " properties", but, when I tried to click, then apear an erorr (image 2):
Disk management.jpg
error.jpg

Back