Windows 7 Lots of Random Problems - Motherboard Dying?

ApolloX

First, the basics:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (BIOS FH)
CPU: Intel i7 980X (not overclocked)
Video Card: GeForce GTX 580 running driver 306.97 (latest)
Memory: 6 x 4gigs Corsair (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)
Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1

My computer has been running fine for 2 years and all of a sudden I'm having a lot of random problems which may or may not be related. Of course, nothing definitive has come up which is why I'm here.

1) 5 days ago my computer froze, screen went black, and there was a loud grinding sounding coming from the computer. I restarted and inspected all the fans, especially the PSU, but everything went back to normal. Also monitored temperatures with no issues

2) Starting today I'm noticing all sorts of keyboard and mouse issues. I'm seeing intermittent input lag on the mouse where if I move it in circles it stutters and freezes in place randomly. My keyboard is sometimes outputting information when I'm not typing like "ddddddddddddddddddd" or alt-tabing dozens of times. The mouse issues are more common than the keyboard, but both come and go randomly. As I'm typing this neither are displaying the issue.

3) I've had 2 BSODs today, both which reported almost no useful information with codes:
0x0000001e (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000).

Could this be a dying motherboard? I haven't done much software installation lately, so I don't know what could be causing it all of a sudden. I'm not sure if the crash a couple of days ago is actually related, as it worked fine for 4 days before displaying problems today.

Without anything definitive I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

Attachments

• cpuz-info.zip
    270.7 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I'm very late for work, please excuse the short reply.

Check the video card
Run these free diagnostics: Hardware Diagnostics

More info on the STOP 0x1E error (short for the stuff that you posted): BSOD Index
Notice the "Usual Causes" section -

Need the info from here to make a more complete analysis: http://windows7forums.com/blue-screen-death-bsod/38837-how-ask-help-bsod-problem.html

Probably not the mobo (they don't make grinding noises - and the grinding noise is the most significant symptom that you had).

Is the grinding like someone stepping on a gravelled road, a grinding like a rock that's slowly being mashed or...? Chances are, it's a fan or disk (hard drive, CD/DVD ROM).

Back