Windows 10 Low Memory Message and PC restarting repeatedly

SMD

Hi,

I have a Lenovo H535s with the following:

AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.70 GHz

8.00GB RAM (7.19 GB useable)

64 bit operating system, x64based processor

I am running Windows 10 Home, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.953

yesterday and today I am getting a Low Memory message and then when I try to click on it (or anything else) my screen flickers black then everything blanks out and I am back to a lovely scenic picture of the Rocky Mountains and after signing in again all my emails, spreadsheets, web pages are closed down.

I am not comfortable changing settings on my computer, as suggested by my previous web searches for this kind of thing.

Can anyone advise a solution?

Many thanks!

@SMD

How old is your build?

To me it sounds like a weird memory compatibility problem, or maybe something's wrong with the Ram sticks.

Have you used this build on any other OS?

Were you experiencing the same or similar problems on that OS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC bought in July 2010

Not sure what you mean by "Have you used this build on any other OS?"

Josiah,

If you mean running this version of windows on another computer then I am not sure, I have a laptop (6 months old) with Windows 10 on it but it is not with me at the moment so I cannot check it.

Hi SMD,

sometimes you'll see this message if the pagefile isn't big enough.

You can try increasing the size and see if that helps.

If you right click on the Start menu icon you'll see a list appear, you want 'System' and click on that. Basically just follow my arrows in the screenshot i did for you.

page file.jpg

After you click on 'Change' you should see a recommended amount to set the page file. To make the changes you will need to uncheck the box near the top. Make the necessary changes and then click the checkbox again at which point you'll probably be asked to reboot.

Any problems please post back.

Hi Kemical,

It currently shows

Min 16MB

Recommended 1815MB

Currently Allocated 22528MB

Is it better to change down to the 1815MB?

To do this after I uncheck the top box do I choose the Custom Size option and therein what do I set for Initial Size and Maximum Size?

Apologies for not answering back sooner I had to nip out. Wow that's a big Pagefile and probably why your getting the message of low RAM.
Is it better to change down to the 1815MB?
Yes, try the recommended size first.

To do this after I uncheck the top box do I choose the Custom Size option
Yes as this will allow you to enter in the sizes needed.
what do I set for Initial Size and Maximum Size?
Set them both the same, so both boxes want to be 1815mb. This saves the pagefile from chasing more memory as it has a decent amount straight away.
Don't forget to click 'Apply' after which you'll probably need to reboot.

Any problems post back.

Thanks Kemical, I have made the changes. If I have any more problems I will post again.

SMD: it looks like Josiah may have misread your post; he may think that you have a self-built PC where you installed the OS or a Tech Preview version of W10 (which you don't, it's RTM Post-Anniversary standard old W10 released after July 29, 2016). Hope kemical's pagefile settings solve your problem. If not, Post back and we will give you more instructions on how to test your RAM sticks.

Best,:)

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi Kemical, unfortunately this has happened again and despite using the method outlined above I am still getting the low memory message, auto restarting issue and currently have a black screen on the desktop with icons showing.

Did another websearch and found the same info as above with a recommendation to use CCleaner if the above didn't work. Does anyone have any history using CCleaner?

link to the article is How To Fix "Your Computer Is Low On Memory" Warning - Troubleshooter

Many thanks for any help!!

When you get the low memory message again see if you can open Task manager and which see app is using all the raml

This app is a more sopisticated version of Task manager
Autoruns for Windows

Thanks Kemical. I have opened the Autorun app to check it out - which tab on the top will I be looking at? it currently is on 'Everything'

Sorry that's the incorrect application (still very handy tho)

The one you need is this (apologies once again must have had a brain fart or something ;) ):
Have you ever wondered exactly how Windows is assigning physical memory, how much file data is cached in RAM, or how much RAM is used by the kernel and device drivers? RAMMap makes answering those questions easy. RAMMap is an advanced physical memory usage analysis utility for Windows Vista and higher. It presents usage information in different ways on its several different tabs:

RAMMap

Thanks again Kemical. Here's what I get running it now when no low memory message has popped up.
Screenshot (2).png

Hi again SMD;
This last article kemical posted was a fascinating read. It may be a bit advanced for you, nonetheless it's certainly worth exploring as it's very well written and there's a lot you could learn from it about how memory works in your PC.

Hopefully, you will gain some insight there and lead you to a fix. If it does not, you might consider looking at your hardware and even testing it. Josiah asked you if you tested your RAM sticks back in POST #2, but you never answered that question for us (this is kemical's post, and he is helping you, but thought I'd chime in since you're still having the problem). If you haven't tested your RAM sticks, here's where we usually recommend you do it from:
MEMORY DIAGNOSTICS:
Memory Diagnostics
Using the Memtest 86+ test overnight on each of your RAM sticks individually, and then all the RAM sticks together can often find failing or intermittently failing RAM memory fails, including memory leaks. If Memtest finds any errors on individual sticks or all sticks when tested together, your RAM stick(s) have failed and must be replaced! :waah:

What's important to realize is that failed RAM sticks can cause errors that mimick software errors and symptoms and often the only way to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem is to Test your RAM stick(s) all of them. If no errors are found in Memtest, then at least you know the error is quite likely in a driver or from a software service or process that is failing, or weird stuff in your paged or non-paged memory pools as kemical's excellent article explains.

If you do the memory testing, and it passes, and you find no help with troubleshooting your software, you might consider first making sure all your personal data is backed up to external media and then using W10 built-in repair tools such as Windows reset or reinstallation and repair or reinstall your W10 and see if the problem persists. If the problem abates, this may produce a fix to your problem!:up:\

Further, looking up your model Lenovo PC on their website, you could also use the LENOVO RESCUE SYSTEM which will use DVD discs you can make (or did make when you first purchased the PC), or a built-in hidden rescue partition stored on the primary hard drive (as long as you didn't delete the partition or change the original hard drive out. It's always a smart idea to try and use factory rescue media to restore your PC to original operating condition. According to the specs on the Lenovo site, this PC originally came with W8.1. This means that if you use the LENOVO RESCUE SYSTEM it will put you back onto W8.1. From there you could attempt the W10 CU (Creators Update) upgrade and try the newest version of W10 on that PC which it should support. (v1703). This may not work, as we have found the W10 Update process to be a little sketchy.:andwhat: You could also visit the Microsoft website, and download the free MCT tool and do a Clean Install which we prefer. It's about the same amount of work as going back to 8.1 and then running the latest W10 update; but far more likely to work. You can get that tool from here: Download Windows 10

Also, I checked the Lenovo site to make sure their is driver support from the manufacturer of your PC, Lenovo, for W10 for your model computer, and there is; which mean that computer should work perfectly fine on W10! :up:
Here's that link fyi: desktops and all in ones :: lenovo h series desktops :: lenovo h535s desktop Lenovo PC Support

Give some thought to repairing or reinstalling your Windows, as that's often an easier way to get things working again, of course after you test your RAM memory. :lightbulb: If you don't take the time to test your memory, and it's really the cause of your memory problems, repairing/reinstalling W10 won't fix it.

Let us know how you get on.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Last edited:
What do I watch for next time?
If the link i provided doesn't really help much then post back.

Pooled memory or unpaged pool memory issues can often be caused by driver or drivers which is why we haven't tested the hardware yet.

Your driver page for your Dell is here:
http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/p...top?linkTrack=Homepage%3ABody_Search+Products

Check your current drivers are up to date.

You can do this by cross referencing any driver already installed via the new 'Apps' section

Back