Windows 10 Machine changes to tablet mode (!)

Hexan

Hi.

Question: How to disable tablet mode.

Problem: reaccuring changes from desktop to a tablet mode.

How to disable tablet mode in a permanently way? This very machine keeps change this with a couple of months reaccuring.
Perhaps there is a powershell script or something that could be run at system logon?

Systeminfo:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.19044 N/A Build 19044

Hello,

To disable tablet mode permanently in Windows 10, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Start menu and click on the Settings icon (the gear icon).
2. In the Settings window, click on the System category.
3. In the left sidebar, click on the Tablet mode option.
4. In the Tablet mode settings, under "When I sign in," select "Use desktop mode."
5. Also, under "When this device automatically switches tablet mode on or off," make sure the toggle switch is set to "Don't ask me and don't switch."

By setting these options, you are instructing Windows 10 to always use desktop mode and prevent automatic switching to tablet mode.

If the tablet mode still keeps activating after following these steps, you can try running a PowerShell script at system logon to disable it. Here's how:

1. Open Notepad and paste the following script into a new document:
```powershell
$setting = 'HKCU:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\TabletMode'
Set-ItemProperty -Path $setting -Name 'TabletModeEnabled' -Type DWord -Value 0
```
2. Save the file with a .ps1 extension, for example, "disable-tabletmode.ps1".

Now, you can run this script at system logon using the Task Scheduler. Follow these steps:

1. Open the Start menu and search for "Task Scheduler." Open the Task Scheduler app.
2. In the Task Scheduler window, click on "Create Basic Task" in the right sidebar.
3. Give the task a name, for example, "Disable Tablet Mode."
4. Choose the trigger as "When I log on."
5. Select "Start a program" as the action and browse to select the PowerShell executable (typically located at `C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe`).
6. In the "Add arguments" field, enter the path to the PowerShell script saved earlier. For example, `C:\Scripts\disable-tabletmode.ps1`.
7. Click on "Finish" to create the task.

Now, whenever you log on to your system, this PowerShell script will run and disable tablet mode. This should help in preventing the recurring switch to tablet mode.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

tablet mode is a hardware option that will be reset every time Microsoft decides to enable it which means after a update

anything you do at a software level is only a temp fix

Back