Windows 10 Making a Bootable USB for Windows 10

rbboom

I have a Lenovo laptop which I've recently replaced the failed hard drive. I want to make a bootable usb in order to load Windows 10 on the laptop new drive. Where would I find step by step directions for doing this? The laptop came with Windows 8 and was updated to 10 prior to failing. Do I have to go back to 8? I read somewhere that I'll need the Windows serial number that came with the laptop in order to install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this was upgraded during the free upgrade time frame, the Windows 8 key is all you need to re-activate Windows 10. If you don't have the key and you can still access the drive from a different computer you can grab the SYSTEM file and extract the key from C:\Windows\System32\config replacing C with the driver letter assigned to the failing drive.

Creating bootable USB
You can get Windows 10 from here Download Windows 10

and use Rufus to create a bootable usb drive
How to use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive to install (almost) any OS - TechRepublic

If this was upgraded during the free upgrade time frame, the Windows 8 key is all you need to re-activate Windows 10. If you don't have the key and you can still access the drive from a different computer you can grab the SYSTEM file and extract the key from C:\Windows\System32\config replacing C with the driver letter assigned to the failing drive.

Creating bootable USB
You can get Windows 10 from here Download Windows 10

and use Rufus to create a bootable usb drive
How to use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive to install (almost) any OS - TechRepublic

I was going to mention RUFUS myself. But yes definitely rufus.. plus wait for the ISO's for the Creators Update to release to get the cutting edge build. it's either 15063.13 or .14 depending what RING the insiders are on. as per my earlier post HERE

Back
Top Bottom