Windows 10 Making the switch to Microsoft Mobile phone?

De TImmertjes

Hello all,
Bit information:
Since an year I did a switch from the apple eco environment to Microsoft. At least, partly.
Currently what we have left are 2 iPhone 6s that my wife and me are using.
We are using Apple music on these devices. And currently my wife is still using iCloud on her iPhone.
On mine I stopped that some months ago, and using OneDrive. We like to take photo's and video's on our devices so our library grow pretty fast. With iCloud if you delete an picture from your iPhone it gets deleted everywhere. That is not handy. Slowly our devices are running out of storage. OneDrive solved that problem. What I delete on my iPhone remains in the cloud.

Ok time has come to move both my wife and me to OneDrive. On the iPhone's we used 1 account so that we had the same photo's visible. If I take a photo with the device my wife sees it on her iPhone as well.
With OneDrive is this also possible?

Apple music. This is no go from an windows mobile phone as far I understand. Spotify is available?
Currently on our Playstation 4 we use spotify. So if we need to move over, that is no big issue.

Apps wise I'm not using much to be honest. I'm not playing games. Mostly what I use are websites.

Apple-tv. Guess that is not working from windows mobile phone.

Further I have subscribed to office 365. So we both can use it. Currently i'm only using it as I see it as an test period. I really want to be prepared when i shutdown the apple services.

I hear a lot of talk about Microsoft mobile phones. Mostly negative. Is this really the case?
The lack of apps I hear mostly. For me this is no problem. I see the benefit in having the office apps on the phone.

My wife will probably stick with her iPhone, since she is using so many apps. :)

Having iphones since the 3G. And I like to try something else. But it has to do the trick.

Thanks all for reading and your comments.

Thanks for the answer. Will try to investigate about this a bit more.

Further I read some bad things about spotify for windows phone. Is this accurate?

Was bad for Windows PCs was continually writing data and damaging hard drives. Not sure if the problem also affected the phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Was bad for Windows PCs was continually writing data and damaging hard drives. Not sure if the problem also affected the phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

HI,
Thanks for your reply.
To be honest I have no idea what you mean. My technical skills are not that high. I'm as they call me at work : a User.

Meanwhile the light is green for an windows phone. Most likely next month, pretty expensive month at the moment.
Birthdays, Sinterklaas (Dutch Santa to say), Christmas.
Found a few mobile stores where they sell them for around E300,- ($311)

OneDrive seem to work :
On my current iPhone I'm using OneDrive already and the office apps. My wife is not using that on her iPhone.
Most likely when I install OneDrive and log in with my Microsoft account it will do the trick on her iPhone. She will not use the office apps. Just OneDrive to sync the photo's to the OneDrive cloud.
My goal is to try that this week. If this is working I can shutdown the first apple service. The extra GB's that I pay per month.

Spotify:
Seems there is an Spotify client for windows phone. So we are covered with that. Most likely we need an family subscription. Currently with Apple Music we can use 1 account and play on 2 devices. With Spotify we tried already and that is not working. As soon an 2nd device start the first one stops. Need to find a bit more information about this.
At the moment i'm using the free client of Spotify. And started to transfer music from iTunes to apple music.
Not really addicted to iTunes, but really like the program. So in that way it is a bit sad to switch that off and go for the Spotify client.

Nostalgic:
As it looks now we are a few months ahead from stopping all the apple services. Using these since they are there. Started with I thought mobile me / iTools. Just looked up and it seems that is since 2000. Migrated from .mac email to me.com.
Currently the @me.com is my main email.
I was slowly switching more to my @outlook.com account since we are paying for that service, office 365.
This will continue. Will keep the @me.com perhaps it is good to make a switch. I notice more and more spam things coming to that account. :) My outlook@com adress is pretty clean.

My wife and her iPhone:
Basically the only thing that changes for my wife is : open OneDrive so now and then to keep the photo's synced to the cloud.
And I can remove the icloud photo sync.
It is important that there is not much troubles on her end. She is even more a User as me :)
As we all know, partner unhappy = no love.
Since I probably get the device in January we have a few weeks to test run. I really want the transition to go smooth for her.

I think (hope) we are ready for it. :teeth:

Things did go a bit faster. Reason was partly that our apple services needed an renewal end of this month.
The past week we have cancelled all apple subscriptions and switched from apple music to Spotify family.
As well did we test the OneDrive option on my wife iPhone.
Things did go well.
For me there was no real reason to wait to order the new mobile phone.
Today it got delivered.
20161228_111702756_iOS.jpg 20161228_111905465_iOS.jpg 20161228_111928948_iOS.jpg

I can say I'm an owner of an Microsoft Lumia 950 from now on.
As we speak the phone is charging. Have only did the first setup.

First impression is. It is not to big. The size is not that much bigger as my iPhone 6s. It don't feel large in my hands.
Further I do not have much to say about it.
The screen is looking sharp as far I can judge now.

1 thing that went wrong. Have ordered an glass screenprotector. And seems I'm an total idiot with those things.
There was some dust on the protector, and tried to remove that..... that result is an dissapointment. Will visit our mobile store where they place it for you on the phone.

New adventure here I am :)

Small update after using the Lumia for a (almost) week now. And it is an great adventure. It just does the job. Really like the button for the camera. This is so handy for me personally. Really taking lots of photo's.
People talking about app-gap. For me this is not the case. Not really an heavy app user. I have installed : Chaam / Spotify and an app for local news. That is it basically.

Unlock the phone with your eyes works most time's. I have it faster unlocked with typing the code. It is just a nice feature. It feels as bit like the iPhone 5s we have with the fingerprint unlock. That was not 100% working either. On the iPhone 6s what we have it works basically always.
Further I'm currently looking for an video editor, just an easy one for on the phone. On the iPhone we used iMovie.
Hopefully something like that is there for the Lumia to.

Was thinking to get an continuum dock, but I think it is not worth my money after all. Currently I plug my laptop on our tv with hdmi. And have basically everything. Spotify for some background music. Can play some games. Browse internet.
To buy an dock for around E100 to do less feels a bit silly.

I use Excel on regular base to keep track of my salt water tank. I have now an tile on the phone to startup the excel sheet directly. Handy.

The first week use of the Lumia was no let down.
It was all (very) positive. Spotify is doing as it should. OneDrive is just great, like the office apps on the phone to.
Happy camper.
Meanwhile I have an screenprotector on the phone and an wallet magnetic cover.
Had no desire the past week to touch the iPhone 6S. It is resting :)

This is the cover I use. Very handy magnetic. The phone is in an plastic case that can be removed from the cover.
Cant find the right english words, see screenshot.
Works very well.

Knipsel.JPG

Another small update. After a few weeks usage I enjoy using the phone. Most things are working just as it should be. Camera button seems to have some bad days. Sometimes it is working sometimes it just does not work. That is a bid silly behavior.
Meanwhile I was doing some digging into the continuum. Here in the Netherlands the docks cost new around 80 euro. For me that is to expensive just to toy with it. Downstairs my laptop is connected to the TV via HDMI. So no real need. I started to think (and that cost money) upstairs we are having an TV on our bedroom with an PlayStation 3 attached for Netflix and YouTube.
My search started for an new continuum dock that people are selling. Found an guy that got 1 extra and was willing to sell for 40 Euro.
Couldn't refuse that offer. Got the dock. Hooked on the TV in the bedroom. The quality is not that great to be honest. It is an old plasma TV with an HD ready (720p) screen in it. The dock has some troubles with it. After some fine-tuning (the TV) it does work. Tried to see settings for the dock, but did not find anything related. Took the dock and connected to our full HD TV downstairs, and that worked perfect. At least the dock is OK.
So back upstairs. And yes it is an old plasma screen but it is perfect for watching movies and that kind of things.
With the dock connected I'm able to browse the internet, watch some YouTube. Watch TV even. That works with the dock very good.
When I connect the dock to that TV, a few minutes to get used to the resolution, then it just works. We are using it currently as an media player. Trying to get hold of another dock that will be kept for on the road. If we visit family for example to show some pictures / movies on the screen.
I'm surprised it works this good to be honest.
To be honest, if my laptop dies it wont replace that. It is nice to have. Nothing more or less for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom