Windows 7 Malwarebytes vs. IObit fiasco comes to a close

reghakr

Essential Member
Last month the interwebz was jolted byLink Removed due to 404 Error. Now, it seems, the fiasco has come to a Link Removed - Invalid URL:
Some weeks ago we presented evidence demonstrating that the Chinese company IObit had stolen Malwarebytes' database and incorporated it into their software. In the days that followed we saw a complete denial of wrongdoing by IObit. They ascribed the matches between their database and our own to anonymous sample submissions, a dubious claim which we debunked.
Nevertheless, IObit did subsequently remove all of Malwarebytes' definitions from their database (thereby cutting their database size by ~40% in one fell swoop). Though we did not receive an apology from them, nor any official acknowledgment of their theft, this reaction speaks for itself. Removal of our intellectual property was what we wanted, and we therefore consider that we have won. We thank the community, online media outlets and our partners for their support in helping us achieve this favorable result.

Now if only Malwarebytes will redesign their interface to look half as attractive as IObit's, all will be well. (Whattttt? I appreciate aesthetics!)

Source:Link Removed due to 404 Error

You are so right, reghakr. I know it should not make technical sense, but I do believe the the final gui appearance is a bid selling feature and, of course, easier to work with. (Remember those DOS programs- oh my god!)

Fwiw. I use Advanced system care (io Bits) and am happy with it. Bit cautious now, if they have cleaned out the definitions!!

No wonder they were giving out IObit for free. And if they're replacing them with some unknown chinese definition...that makes it even more worrysome. Goodbye IObit

Since my first posting, I read up a little on the case. The program concerned was actually "security 360". The information is obtained, like all Anti malware manufacturers, from central sources, and by robot scanning. If I, for example, were to plant a seemingly virus somewhere on the web, it would be picked up by those central dBases and, eventually, by the anti malware people (including MalwareBytes and IoBit!) I see no problem with that. This is precisely what malwarebytes did, allegedly as a trap. Of course it got picked up by IoBit, as well as Avira and Avast, who were, for some reason, left out of the allegations.
I assume Iobit sleaned their Dbase, to avoid a lawsuit. I am confident that it has now been restored. I deliberately planted a trojan on my computer and then ran a AWC (free) scan a coupl of days later. It found it!

Fwiw. I am not sure where the info came that it is a chinese company. They are probably right, but I could only find reference to an American based organisation.

Back
Top Bottom