Windows 7 managing system restor points

davidbitn

Hello

i want to manage system restore points, but in windows 7 you can only delete all restore points or leave them. and i cant delete specific restore points i had create.
in win xp i could set the life time of last restore points :

Creating and managing Windows Restore Points - The solution

in windows 7 i didnt find any value like RPLifeInterval .

so i cant prevent windows 7 system restore saving old restore points?

tnx
david.

davidbitn, did you try to create the DWORD-32 RPLifeInterval value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\System Restore ?

If it doesn't work, do it manually:

To clear existing restore points
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

Click to add a check mark beside Turn off System Restore on all Drives, and click Apply.

When you are warned that all existing Restore Points will be deleted, click Yes to continue.

All system restore points are deleted. Now you should manually create a restore point.
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

Click Create a Restore Point, and then click Next.

Name your restore point. (I use the date as well as a descriptive term such as "After Restore Point Deletion.")

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Using Windows 7 or Vista System Restore - the How-To Geek

How to Adjust System Restore Default Timing Parameters at Instant Registry Fixes

Hello david,

You can set a MB limit on the amount od space to use for system restore.

Thruthfully, if you have a large hard drive, what benefit is it for you?

In Windows 7, you can quickly clean all the accumulated restore points EXCEPT for the most recent one if you do this:

Computer => Right-click on Drive C: => Properties => Disk cleanup => More options tab => System restore

It'll automatically get rid of all restore points but the very recent one. :)

I would use a registry cleaner like CC which allows you to delete the restore points you want using the tools function. I use it all I use it all the time I only keep the the last 5 restore points

davidbitn, did you try to create the DWORD-32 RPLifeInterval value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\System Restore ?

it wont make any damage?
You can set a MB limit on the amount od space to use for system restore.

Thruthfully, if you have a large hard drive, what benefit is it for you?

i cant see which system restore points are saved and what is deleted.
in xp could see it in the calendar. and yes i like my HD empty and be aware of it situation.

I would use a registry cleaner like CC which allows you to delete the restore points you want using the tools function. I use it all I use it all the time I only keep the the last 5 restore points

its sound great . work on win 7?

thank you all.

david

1. David, adding RPLifeInterval won't damage, I'm just not sure it'll work, then you can delete RPLifeInterval if it doesn't.

2. CC cleaner does work in Windows 7.

3. Personally, I prefer it this way :

In Windows 7, you can quickly clean all the accumulated restore points EXCEPT for the most recent one if you do this:

Computer => Right-click on Drive C: => Properties => Disk cleanup => More options tab => System restore

It'll automatically get rid of all restore points but the very recent one.

thank you.

i asked microsoft about it, and they told me that system restore saved the last 10 points and delete the old one's auto'.
(this is not true according my testing. i was creating two points before 10 days, and they gone. i had only one point from yesterday)
my amout space for system restore is 13%.

i was asking them: what is the recommanded amout space for system restore on my system partition:
total size 70g.
free space 35g.
they recommanded me 12%. its ok?

thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom