Windows 7 Massive Physical Memory Usage on Windows 64 bit

SwiftShadow

Why does my laptop use around 2-3GB of physical memory for NOTHING.
I know my skype, Msn, and TS3 lauch on laptop start, but that should be just about it.
Atleast form anything that takes much memory. Even those 3 dont take much.
i just turn it on and it instantly uses that MUCH OF IT.
How do i reduce it!

My computer stuff:

Laptop: XPS L502X

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz

CPU Speed 2.0 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.00 GHz

Bios Name

Name:
Default System BIOS

Version:
Dell Inc. A06

RAM 8.0 GB

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Video Card: GeForce GT 540M

Disk Space: total 679 GB, Free 417 GB

Do you have any type of auto backup software installed? The Smartware that comes with WD external drives is a huge resource hog and difficult to manage. Look in your startup programs and see what's starting for sure.
Joe

Backup software that constantly runs in the background.
Joe

So how do i check them, if they work in the background.... :confused:

the only way i would know is task manager>processes
and there i normally just look what takes alot of physical memory or CPU usage.
If they arent system files or something inportant and i do not know what they are, i just close them.

But i cant find anythign that works on HIGH..... even if i multiplied everything togeter from there it would add up to 2GB-3GB of Physical Memory

The processes would show in task manager. It would have been software you installed not part of Windows.
Joe

The Resource Monitor is sometimes a good place to check your memory usage. Maybe the Video card is sharing and would show as Hardware Reserved. But you should be able to track down what exactly is using it.

The processes would show in task manager. It would have been software you installed not part of Windows.
Joe

The laptop already when bought uses 2-3GB memory, with out ME installing anything. Only stuff that was put on it by the... umm i dunno... the ppl that prepered it ?
So it cant be something i have installed on it.

Also on a side note as second thing that u guys may be able to help me with, it is off topic but, latelly the past few days i had internet problems.
Basically my connections SHOW that everything is connected, but like every 30 mins my internet dissaperes for like 5 seconds and comes back. The wireless dosnt show that it actually goes away or anything, but Skype and/orTeamspeak and/or in any Online game manuage to disconnect in that little time, and the everything goes back like nothing ever happent. Sometimes only 1 dissconnects and others dont, sometimes all 3 do but for example i can still use firefox fine and accsess internet.
The wierd thing is when it is happening my wireless shows that everything is OKAY. So i have no clue what to do. I did a virus scan and it found nothing, and i havent installed or downloaded ANYTHING the past few days.
Ou and aside form wireless i have an Internet plugin stick, which gives me a deacent constant internet speed, BUT THE SAME thing keeps happening, connection goes away for a few seconds, all my applications that require internet close and in 5 secs everything is back to normal.
Aside form virus scanning i also used a program called Advanced SystemCare 4, and cleared all the problems that brought up, but nothing changed.

This is just a side problem if anyone happen to know why this is happening or how to fix it. But mainly my consern is the MASSIVE physical memory usage. Which i cant understand WHY because in the Task Manager> Processes, if i add up ALL the Physical Memory usage numbers it wont even add up to 1GB not even close, but the laptop uses 2GB-3GB of it!

Last edited:
As suggested, show a picture of Resource Monitor like this:

2012-03-16_0319.png

Untitled.pngUntitled2.png

there is the picture, now how exactly does what it shows add up to almost 4GB Physical memory.
All the proccesses that dont fit on the screen, take most 4 000 kb and less Physical memory

And i dont know how to get rid of the Attached Thumbnails, that was a failed picture!

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
I don't think there is anything to worry about. Look at my picture - it is about the same. We just have a lot of stuff running. We should be glad that a lot of RAM is being used. That speeds things up.

not so happy when i notice that my computer starts just loading and getting slow out of nothing.

Latelly my skype CONSTANTLY stops responding and then the entire laptop freezes till it responds again
same with other programms.

When that happens the CPU skyrockets to 90%

The memory on my system (basic) runs 1.5 -1.8 G using the total and adding the Working set.

You seem to show some utilities will a high usage, but can't see some of them.

But your in use and standby numbers are about equal, as are mine.

Do you have the capability of adding more memory? Since is does not appear your numbers are out of line, as whs mentions, you can still try to add them up, but looks like more memory might be what you need.

If you want to test, shut some applications down and see if the system responds accordingly.

Back