Windows 7 Media Software problems

milirat

I upgraded to the windows RC build 7100 recently. I have been using it successfully. I have installed all my applications and programs successfuly. I have installed all of my hardware peripherals with no problem what so ever. The problem I am having is with media players. When I installed W7RC I moved all of my personal files into my new partition. These are the same files I had with my version of W VISTA BUSINESS. As I have had no problem playing these video files on my vista machine, the new version of media player will not even play basic MPG format files. I decided to uninstall the windows media player from my OS and install a 3rd party application to handle all of my media. I selected Winamp. The problem that I am having is that when I run this winamp application it tells me that it can not write to the playlist file. I have looked in several places on the internet and to no avail. When I try to run the winamp program it ties up all of my system recourses. It will peak out my processors 0 and 1 to 100%. It only raises the memory usage slightly. Another thing is that it will open up multiple instances of the program. Of course they will not be open on the interface but they remain open in the processes section. I noticed that the only way I can get my OS to start responding again is to go into the processes and close all the instances of the winamp program. I have tried a few other media programs but none of them will even play all of my MPG files. It will either give a blank screen or show the first frame and freeze. I am not sure why I am having so much trouble with graphical media. I am sure that my graphics card is capable of displaying the media because it did in vista very well might I add. NVIDIA 6150SE. I would like to find out if there is any remedy to the freezing of the video. I would love to reinstall windows media player if I can get it to work correctly and not freeze up. I would really appriciate any help I can get.

Hello an welcome.

We never recommend an upgrade.

It's always best to do a "clean" install.

WMP natively supports mpg files, so i don't know why you're would not

How did you go about removing Windows Media Player?

Did you receive any error messages when trying to play the mpg files?

When I mentioned that I had upgraded I didn't mean that I overwrote an old OS. I did a clean install of RC
When I would play MPG files I would not get any messages. All that would happen is that I would get a frozen first frame. I could advance the video manually and when I would get close to the end it would start playing by itself. Then when I tried to play it again same situation. When I uninstalled WMP I used the windows feture menu and unchecked the media player and media center button. It uninstalled fine. The only problem I am having is with this freezing in WMP. I can take winamp out and not use it again. I don't have a problem with that, infact I would rather use WPM than winamp because it is more efficient and don't use all my system recources. I would like to get the the bottom of this problem so I can start watching my family vidoes in motion.
Thank you very much for your response and thank you for looking into my problem.

Back