Windows 7 Memory stick - can't read it if computer already on,,,

Homesbydesign

I upgraded to windows 7 a while back and have several issues. One is if my computer is on and I plug in my memory stick Windows does not read it. Only when I reboot will I be able to read the memory stick which is very annoying.

Thoughts?

Do other USB devices work or recognized when plugged in?

Does it happen in all of the USB ports?

Have you checked the settings in the bios for USB devices?

In Device Manager do you have any yellow marks by the USB controllers?

Win 7 problems

Thanks for the reply saltgrass -

No, I should have added that no other devices work either. Since I can't set up a network with my wife's laptop where she is XP and I am 7 we switch the printer cable back and forth and the same thing happens with that. Sometimes my computer reads it and other times it doesn't.

Yes - on all USB ports.

Haven't checked the bios settings - I wouldn't know what to look for....

Another issue is my computer rarely shuts down properly either but that's another matter. I find Windows 7 somewhat annoying and useless. If I had a choice when I bought my computer I would have installed XP on it.

I would guess you do not have the drivers for the USB controller. Hit Winkey + Pause to bring up the system window, then open device manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers to see if anything looks strange.

If it appears you do not have drivers, try clicking on the computer icon at the top with the magnifying glass to start Windows searching. If that doesn't work, you might look for Win 7 chipset drivers from your manufacturer.

You need to start a thread in the Networking area to get your Win 7 and XP computers networked. It isn't that hard. You cannot put the XP computer on a Homegroup, but you can put in on a workgroup.

Have you attempted to install the media card reader drivers? Did you perform an "upgrade" or "custom" installation?

Jessica

Media Card?

Thanks for your interest in this thread Jessica. Media card reader driver? What ever happen to the plug and play variable? All the links that I've scanned through barely touch windows 7 drivers let alone Vista wish just so happen to work well before I upgraded. Yes, it was an upgrade opposed to a fresh install. I tried some of the other suggestions from my previous repondant but to no avail. I think I'll simply wipe out 7 and install a copy of XP from work. Then again, maybe I'll biy a MAC ;-) :cool:

Thanks for your interest in this thread Jessica. Media card reader driver? What ever happen to the plug and play variable? All the links that I've scanned through barely touch windows 7 drivers let alone Vista wish just so happen to work well before I upgraded. Yes, it was an upgrade opposed to a fresh install. I tried some of the other suggestions from my previous repondant but to no avail. I think I'll simply wipe out 7 and install a copy of XP from work. Then again, maybe I'll biy a MAC ;-) :cool:

Hi Homes,
any chance you could back up and perform a clean install? We have had a fair number of users reporting problems after upgrading and a clean install is usually the key regardless whether the former os was vista or xp..

Fresh install

Hey Kem,

Yep, that's what I'll have to do. I am not opposed to that a fresh install but was trying to avoid it - I can easily back things up and be up and running within an evening if I do that. I've done it many times before with previous windows versions so it's not foreign to me. Thanks

As far as what memory stick it is - not sure it matters - I just plugged in my hasp key for Chief Architect and it wasn't detected so I'll have to reboot for it and my memory stick.

here's hoping for better windows 7 days ahead ;-)

Hey Homes..
I hope all goes well following the clean install but please post again if not. As to which make the stick is, I was only asking in case of incompatibilities?

memory stick

Kem, it's a silicon power memory stick -- 8 gig

Here's a thought a DBA friend of mine had with all my problems -- would any of the issues be attributed to the fact I had to set up my Chief Architect software as if it was working under Vista as it didn't like 7? -- she is thinking I should have set up a virtual window.... if I recall correctly I found a function to tell Cheif to pretend it was running under Vista and that made it work.

Thoughts?

Did you ever load the chipset drivers for your motherboard? If you are going to clean install anyway, try everything you can.

Homes just check it against the ones found here as it seems some are for xp only:

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back
Top Bottom