Windows 7 Memtest Fail Questions & BSOD's

BLACKETYL

Here's my Sys specs:

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Eyefinity 6 Edition Video Card
Rosewill Libertas Series LIB-650 650W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Full Modular, ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.92,SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active PFC, Compatible with Core i7, i5 Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GB38GB1600C9QC
HITACHI Deskstar H3IK10003272SP (0S02860) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
Rosewill RK-7310 Black USB Wired Super Slim Multimedia Keyboard
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Full
Rosewill RNX-N180PCe PCI Express Revision 1.1 Wireless Adapter

Hello all:

My system is unstable and I've decided to finally do something about it. I get BSOD's fairly regularly. I'd attach the dumps but I'm writing this from the office computer so it's going have to wait. Checking the 50+ dumps, the bulk of the crashes come from ntoskrnl.exe/ntkrnlpa.exe/atikmdag.sys. The "nt" are apart of the kernel so I really doubt that's the root of the problem, it's something else I'm sure. The ATI, is from the GPU but not real sure what's causing it. Catalyst and the associated drivers are up to date it would appear.

Last night I ran:
  • Dskchk.ext --> No problems on C:. I ran again on my other drive pulled from my previous comp. A few errors but it appears they were fixed. Nothing major on this HD. Just WoW and some misc files.
  • CCleaner ---> Found some lost registry files, cleaned it up and no issues to report.
  • Prime95 ---> I only ran for about 30 mins before bed, no issues. I know it needs to run for a lot longer but my hunch is that the CPU is not the issue here.
  • Memtest86+ ---> Here's where I got some issues.
Test#1 -----> Ran for about <5mins, screen went blank no response did a soft reset...
Test#2------> Ran again errors started popping up somewhere in between the 5-10min mark. The errors just kept piling up in a few mins I was at like 350k.
Test#3-6---> Ran each stick individually in the first slot failed all failing at around the 1:45 mark or while beginning memtest's test #7. The error just kept piling up like the above test.

So what do you think at this point? Is it the ram stick or the MOBO? It's sort of strange that all of the sticks would fail individually at the exact same time. One thing to note, I checked Gigabyte's website and my particular ramstick is not listed on their compatability chart. They also said that they can't check every stick of RAM on the market so it could be fine just not checked.

The majority of the BSOD's happen while gaming. WoW, Rift, The Witcher, Sims 4, NWN2. Pretty much all of my games I play except EVE for some reason. That game's never crashed on me.

Any help with this be great. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi there,

You should rule out if it's DIMM Slot or RAM. So I would recommend to run each stick on each DIMM slot so you can figure it out if it's RAM or DIMM slot. Also refer the Motherboard manual and check the RAM timings and voltages are set correctly in BIOS.

Thanks for the response.

I'll try that out and report back here after work.

I'll also take a look at the BIOS and see if the RAM settings are acceptable. I do believe the voltages were ok, have to check on timing.

I'm also guessing that the RAM is set at the default clock speed of 1333mhz instead of the RAM's designed speed of 1600mhz. That wouldn't cause all this trouble would it?

Thanks,

Back