Methods of use of forums.

RAK

Extraordinary Member
How do users operate when they visit this forum (or any other)
I have never posed a question, so regard myself as being in a "help" category. To merely select "New Posts", unless you are a very prolific poster, with time on your hands, can reveal a mass of material, a lot of which, if one is honest, the user rends to skip over without opening.
I, like many, have quite a few forums in my bookmarks. Several of these are being totally swamped by material which, in my particular case, is totally irrelevant.
In order to "get through the day", I worked out a system which, with practise, is not time consuming and gets the subject matter revealed in a summarised format. I have noticed, however, that there is a trend to post links as help, instead of opening a more friendly and informal dialogue.
As I see it, posting links indicates that any intelligent computer user, could browse for his answer anyway, and not even bother to use forums.
First thing I do is click Windows Rumours and news forum entries. I get this material through other news sources, so have no need for it. I then select the "Forum Tools" option and mark the forum as read.
I do the same with Security Zone and the Water cooler.
This eliminates about 70% of the "New Posts" and allows me to view the remainder more comfortably.
The "Open topic" forum, I keep at the moment. It has a tendency to merge its contents with the Water Cooler, but still has interesting chat items.

Good info, I often do the same, thanks.

Thanks. It is not unique to this site. Two of (imo) the best sites on the web, have other methods of categorising. The best, on entry, you can select, for example "Windows 7" , this, obviously, takes you to that specific choice, if that is your major interest. Both mentioned, have on average several hundred new posts over a span of 12 hours, so it would be impossible to look through them all.