Windows 7 Mice: Wireless VS Wired RE: Divergent Behavior

gremlinkurst

Extraordinary Member
My system has been newly re-installed, is completely up-to-date (all drivers included), and is very well-protected threat-wise. I've always had this problem, for years, but have gotten around to asking for help just now, other matters having been more pressing. I do not experience this on Linux platforms, only Windows. Here is some info:
---------------------------
System Specifications
---------------------------
OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
OS2: Ubuntu 12.04 x64
CPU: AMD FX Black 6100 6-Core 3.3 GHz
MBD: GA-970A-UD3
GPU: MSI TwinFrozr III R7850 2 GB GDDR5¹
RAM: 4 GB DDRIII
HD0: 500 GB Seagate SATA III (2 partitions, Windows & Acronis Secure)
HD1: 750 GB Seagate SATA III Solid State Hybrid (2 data partitions)
SCR: Acer S232HL LCD Monitor²
Native Resolution of 1920•1080 @ 75 Hz

¹Managed by AMD Catalyst Control Center w/ability to overclock CPU & GPU
²Managed by Acer eDisplay Management

The problem is that the wireless mice, while they initially, for a very short period of time, function as expected, soon begin exhibiting undesirable traits like being slow to respond (except for context menu requests) and moving jerkily, while the hard-wired mice tend to make unwanted selections and perform actions when no button has been pressed. The wireless mouse is brand new, and is plug 'n' play, needing no 3rd-party software or drivers, but the wired mouse is old, and I'm replacing it later today (so some of those issues may evaporate). My specific question is this: Exactly how should I have "the mouse" configured in the control panel when I find it absolutely necessary to have both kinds of mice working at once? Or, is there a mouse-related application I can download that will fine-tune just a SINGLE mouse to behave as it should? The wireless (Onn) mouse also seems to require EXTREMELY precise positioning to perform left-click actions.

...Or perhaps someone knows of a mouse that does require 3rd-party software that DOES function excellently on Windows 7 x64. Any help would be appreciated.

How old is old on the wired mouse? What type of connection does the wired mouse have? What's the make/model of the wired mouse....from experience...those cheap and inexpensive wireless mice is a 50/50 shot as to how they work.

Wired USB 2.0 mouse is kinda decrepit; I'm pretty sure the REALLY sluggish context-menu summons is due to hardware failure of the right-click button, but I can't take it apart to fix it (hence the gotta-replace-it). The wireless is an Onn ONA13HO503, and you could be right about the cheapo, but I've had this identical problem with more costly and sophisticated Logitech HIDs as well. (Grrr!) But, maybe I just haven't found the right manufacturer. I'm open to suggestions.

Ordered a new wired [laser] mouse; it'll be a while 'fore it gets here. I'm posting in a separate thread, however, another issue I'd initially thought to be mouse-related, but logic says is not: Something is inconsistently interfering with Paste operations (post: "Eating Paste").

The problem symptoms you described for wireless mice makes me think that you are using one that requires moving on a surface for it to detect the movement. The problem that I've had with those in the past were either the surface that I set them on, or that the detector's lens became dirty. By dirty, all it requires to cause problems is a bit of fuzz, which you might not be able to see just by looking. Regular cleaning with a Q-Tip might help. Currently, I'm using a Logitech M570, which eliminates the surface factor, since it is a trackball, but it may still requires some cleaning of the lens, but not as much as with the other. The only problems with this particular mouse is getting accustomed to using it, and if you do a lot of copy/pasting like I do, the left and right buttons may become a bit erratic after some months of usage, but the warranty should handle that problem.

Vielen dank, Herr "Suche-Meister;" you are correct about the surface-detection and optics. The mouse was SUPPOSED to work on virtually any surface, but there was a minor (minor, yet significant) performance increase with this ratty old San Antonio Spurs mousepad I have. Cleaning the optics was usually done by air-blasts, but didn't actually seem to accomplish anything. The Asus USB laser mouse came in today, and its flawless performance supported an earlier suspicion I had that you mentioned/alluded to in your response: mechanical failure due to heavy, repetitive use in MB1 of one old mouse and MB2 of the other. Yeah, I do a LOT of copying and pasting, especially in graphics editing, and I put a lot of wear 'n' tear on my HIDs due to gaming (the F key of my last keyboard failed; I took apart the Mylar sandwich under the keys to find that a foil run had broken), but this KBD should be good for a while as I only got it a couple months ago. Anyhow, the problem is solved, so I can throw away the two old mice and keep the new cruddy wireless (great click response but TERRIBLE movement response) as a backup. I don't use Logitech anymore 'cause my experience with their firmware is Windows shells (I've administered/used 3.1 through 7) don't respond well/consistently. I'll be sticking with Asus because they've drawn my attention in recent years due to my gaming interests, and the other Asus hardware I have satisfies my "finickiness."

I like Asus, but have only tried their motherboards, monitor and sound cards. The only things I have been less than happy with are the sound cards. There may be better keyboards and mice than Logitech, but I'm one slow to make changes, because too often I've found that change causes more problems than it fixes.

A wireless mouse' erratic response to movement is mostly caused by indirect line of sight between the mouse and the receiver. In my case, I had to plug the receiver in front of the cpu to have a direct line of communication with the mouse. As for doing things by itself, the only solution is to install the driver specific to the device. My mouse (Logitech Mediaplay wireless mouse) has a volume controller and without installing the specific driver for it, the volume turns up by itself. After installing the driver, everything is fine. So don't rely on generic drivers. Generic drivers will only make any peripherals work to the basics but not function properly or as intended.

00101503-photo-logitech-mediaplay-visuel-1.jpg

I had problems like your's, when I was using mice that had corded receivers, but since going to the M570, which has a unified receiver, that no longer seems to be a problem.

Back