Windows 7 Microsoft may sell Windows 7 on Flash Drives !

whoosh

Cooler King
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Link Removed due to 404 Error

With Windows 7 pre-orders on sale today, CNET is reporting that Microsoft is considering selling Windows 7 on flash drives to help make installation on netbooks easier, and it's reportedly one of several incentives the company may offer to users without CD/DVD drives. While no official announcement has been made, we're wondering if you'd take a pre-loaded, presumably protected USB stick over a disc for your next upgrade. Share your reasons or rejections in the comments.

Ah a refreshing version of windows ;)

Hey, if it works, yes, the problem with a flash drive, is if you plug it into a bad USB slot, it could fry it.
They would also need a download site to retrieve it in case the stick gets smoked.

If not,, then no, for the average people out there.
For me, I would because I know how to back it up, unless that was not possible, then no again.

Hey, if it works, yes, the problem with a flash drive, is if you plug it into a bad USB slot, it could fry it.

But with a DVD, simply dropping it on the floor could scratch it up beyond use. I think selling it in flash drives is a good idea (that's all I use to install builds of Win7 now anyway) except i think MS would lose a lot of money because they're giving you a free flash drive. You could buy Win7 on the flash drive, then copy the contents of the drive somewhere else, format it, and there you have it: a ~4GB flash drive and Windows 7 for the price of just Windows 7.

They would proboly up the price a bit. Plus they could lock the usb drive so its read only and not writable. But people could get pass that

This would be a good idea though for netbooks and that. But what if you are going with it on a old pc like one with usb 1.1. It would take ages to install.

But with a DVD, simply dropping it on the floor could scratch it up beyond use. I think selling it in flash drives is a good idea (that's all I use to install builds of Win7 now anyway) except i think MS would lose a lot of money because they're giving you a free flash drive. You could buy Win7 on the flash drive, then copy the contents of the drive somewhere else, format it, and there you have it: a ~4GB flash drive and Windows 7 for the price of just Windows 7.

Yes, but the flash drive would be figured into the cost, and they are so dirt cheap now, and MS would be buying them by the truck load so they would get them for about a half penny each (you know what I mean).

They should have a way to D/L it also. According to MS, when reselling used PC's especially with the OEM tag on them, the media does matter, you must provide the OEM media (ie. Dell, HP etc. disks), but in all reality, the media shouldn't matter.

If they would do what they did for Office 2007 OEM, and sell medialess license with the ability to D/L it, it would solve a lot of problems. Also make it that Media doesn't matter only the license matters.

Also,,, if you are using a PC with USB 1.1, it's time to upgrade, I doubt Win 7 is going to run very well on a PC that old.

Last edited:
It ran on one of my pcs that had usb 1.1. Plus other people have used it on old pcs and im sure they have 1.1.

I agree downloading too. You have two choices. Either pay online and get a product key and download it or pay at store and get your key and a speical download link to download your version.

Maybe they'll start distributing a hardware "dongle" (USB device), so no one could use an illegal copy as it phones home from time to time to check the license:D:eek:

Maybe they'll start distributing a hardware "dongle" (USB device), so no one could use an illegal copy as it phones home from time to time to check the license:D:eek:

The virtual end of piracy as we know it ! Ulp ! Me got issues = lack of money . Dang life gets harder :D

You got it!

That's for the person in another post who said Microsoft will decide if we get the 32-bit or 64-bit upgrade depending if our computer supports it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly,, if MS goes to dongles, I will switch to Linux over night.
Without a doubt will do all in my power to make Linux the next best thing, or ReactOS.

I will petition investers on behalf of them to get dev money to push the support for those alternatives.

MS will lose me completely and without remorse.

I absolutely despise dongled software,, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Piracy.
The dongles suck, and half the time they don't work. The other half all you need is a loopback

Honestly,, if MS goes to dongles, I will switch to Linux over night.
Without a doubt will do all in my power to make Linux the next best thing, or ReactOS.

I will petition investers on behalf of them to get dev money to push the support for those alternatives.

MS will lose me completely and without remorse.

I absolutely despise dongled software,, and it has absolutely nothing to do with Piracy.
The dongles suck, and half the time they don't work. The other half all you need is a loopback

They will have cds and dongles. They need both. Plus windows 7 is way better than linux so switching is making you lose out.

Interesting to see how they price that.

They are currently charging the boxed dvd install media at $14.99.

If they charge extra for the flash drive - they may not include a mechanism to prevent it's re-use.

if they decide to run with the flash drives, it would have to be a 4 gig, wouldn't that be not so cost effective?? you could just buy the dvd, put it on a flash drive and install to what ever it might be that doesn't have a dvd drive, how would you not have a dvd drive with so much software being on dvd drives anyway? and why would someone without a dvd drive be interested in win7? doesn't make too much sense to me... if microsoft can release a flash drive version at the same price, more power to them but otherwise, I think it would be just a big flop... I like the thinking that they seem to be doing though, why not put all software on flash and put an iso type deal on it? you'd be able to get 16, 32gb of space to work with, it would be great for video game designers, blu ray costs don't seem to be dropping fast enough to be practical anytime soon...

Uh people with netbooks who like want windows 7 and either have xp,vista or even window 7 starter.

And the memory stick would only be 3gb. Because isent the iso for 32-bit only 2.35gb or so.

Back