Microsoft scraps Windows 7 'E' version for Europe

loathe

Microsoft confirmed late on Friday that it plans to kill off the Windows 7 'E' version for Europe.

In a statement a company official confirmed Windows 7 E is no more:

In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 'E' is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 'E'. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 'E', only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

hell no,, and why should they?

If people don't want Windows, they don't HAve to buy it.
There are alternatives, No one is forced to purchase windows, regardless of what the whole of society uses.
If people can't afford others (mac), or know how to use others (linux), then too bad.
Either create a better alternative or quit complaining. That's my view.

Last edited:
I don't think the dust has settled on this one yet. I pre-ordered Windows 7E which would have been a full install. Now will I get the upgrade version or the full version when Windows ships. It's all a bit up in the air at the moment. CNET reckons full but there is no source quoted. http://tinyurl.com/m6d2ld last paragraph.

Last edited:
I had understood that Microsoft was sued and forced to ship 7 without IE, but is there the legal statement to allow Microsoft resume the full version ? The article does not clarify.

My ass-umption is. The EU can't really do much more than fine MS, if they do it at all.
The problem affects far too many companies and individuals for them to just make a blanket ruling like this.

It's just one of those things. Besides, it is completely unfair to do this to MS, and not force all other companies to abide, MAC and Linux should have to remove theirs as well. The runling itself is anti-competitive.

hell no,, and why should they?

If people don't want Windows, they don't HAve to buy it.
There are alternatives, No one is forced to purchase windows, regardless of what the whole of society uses.
If people can't afford others (mac), or know how to use others (linux), then too bad.
Either create a better alternative or quit complaining. That's my view.

I have to say, VERY WELL WRITTEN!! :) And it's true, people are not forced to buy Windows.. ;) But some seem to forget that somehow..

Back