To start, I know that probably everyone in this forum already knew the solution, but I didn't. I worked on a customers laptop that wouldn't boot. After throwing everything but the kitchen sink at it I was finally able to remove 2 rootkits, 80 viruses and a bunch of other malware. After cleaning and booting I found that their anti-virus had expired. I uninstalled it and rebooted. I then downloaded MSE and installed it. After install and update it started a short scan. When it finished the icon in the taskbar turned orange. I opened it to see that it said it needed to be updated so I started the update. It started to update then stopped. After uninstalling and reinstalling 3 times I finally discovered the problem. The date and time were wrong on the computer. After setting these MSE worked fine. Hope this helps someone else. A mind is a terrible thing to waste but mine is totally gone.