Microsoft Surface Pro 2017 Discussion

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft has released the Surface Pro 2017 for pre-order here: Home of the Microsoft Surface Device Family | Surface

This new line of products also includes a Surface Laptop as well as a all-in-one type PC. Interestingly, however, I can not seem to find full hardware specifications anywhere. For example, where is the information about USB, wifi adapter(s), and ethernet ports?

Interestingly, it appears the Surface Pro 2017, unbelievably, for the price it is currently going for, will NOT include a USB 3.1 Thunderbolt port. According to this article, it appears the company assumes ignorance on behalf of the consumer about USB 3.1. This is not to say the device isn't great for portability, but what is up with the lack of modern ports?

Unfortunately, consumers have to, apparently, rely on 3rd party review sites in order to get full specs for this type of system. BusinessInsider, actually, gives a good review of this product including full specs:

Here’s what’s new, and what’s not new, in Microsoft’s latest Surface Pro

After scouring the Microsoft website for some time, I found more information on the Surface line of products under the comparison section:

Compare Surface devices – Surface Laptop vs Studio vs Book vs Surface Pro

Last edited:
I recently got a pro 4 i5 with keyboard brand new with MS warranty. I had some concerns that I might have been better off waiting to see the "pro 5" but apart from the yet to be tested claim for improved battery life I see no reason to regret buying the 4 given the very significant price difference for rather insignificant differences in spec.

I recently got a pro 4 i5 with keyboard brand new with MS warranty. I had some concerns that I might have been better off waiting to see the "pro 5" but apart from the yet to be tested claim for improved battery life I see no reason to regret buying the 4 given the very significant price difference for rather insignificant differences in spec.
I have the Surface Pro 3 and the battery life really is a drag when its not plugged in, but ultimately, it is a good, sound, portable laptop. I understand the Pro 4 is much better in this area. For the price of the full blown Surface Pro 2017 with maximum specifications (1TB SSD), I fail to see how you could ever justify a $3000 price tag. That is just insane. I mean this is a gluttonous price for such a device. For the love of mankind, do they even include the keyboard, which retails for around $130 USD? Why on EARTH would they charge this much for it, in my opinion. For $200, maybe a shop like @Josephur has could open the thing up and replace the SSD manually (warranty likely voided of course). I don't know.. seems a waste to me. Sorry to be so negative on it!

We should be getting 2 of these for work. I may test drive one of them and I'll write a review if I do.

The Wife and I had two Windows Tablets, hers a Surface 2 running Win 8 NT and me a Surface 2 Pro that is running Windows 10 Pro. Early and Mid December we both got the new i5 version of Surface Pro (5) Real happy.

Back
Top Bottom