mini ITX computer or NAS for file server

would you buy a second hand mini ITX computer to use it as a Network Attached Storage?

• No, I don't buy second hand computers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, only if the price was less than the price of the cheapest NAS

• Yes, if the price was equal to the price of the cheapest NAS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

livix07

Honorable Member
I genuinely want to know how many of you would be willing to buy a second hand mini ITX computer instead of a new NAS (Network Attached Storage) to use it as file server.
Please take into account before you vote that the price in the poll below means the price of the computer or NAS without disk drives. People have different budget and preferences when it comes to disk drive size.
Thank you for your participation.

Last edited:
Well a mini isn't going to have a lot of space for disks, so if you only want a 2 disk mirror storage array then that might work. Otherwise I would look for something that has a few more drives, plus if you're going the FreeNAS route the box will also need 1GB per Terabyte of storage to function well.

Mini ITX motherboards can be fitted even in a micro ATX case which is larger and there is space even for more than 2 disks.
I was thinking about SAMBA rather than FreeNAS. I am not familiar with FreeNAS. Basically this could be a solution for home and small businesses.

Do you have any idea of why nobody takes part in the poll?
There have already been 36 views and nobody has voted yet.

If you're looking to use the system purely for storage FreeNAS would be a much better choice. FreeNas uses LVMS to create storage pools of different sizes and easily add disks to these pools. It does use Samba on top to share out space as SMB shares, but it can easily share out to Linux systems, Mac or Windows.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Do you mind if I ask you why haven't you voted?

Last edited:
No, it's too small a dedicated NAS enclosure would better.

A mini ITX motherboard can be fitted even inside a micro ATX case which is larger than a mini ITX case. That's the reason it didn't even cross through my mind that space would be a problem.
All I am interested in is if the price makes a difference.

Back