Windows 7 Missing bootmgr

They sometimes don't check back for a few days. If they signed up for email notification they probably didn't use an email address they check often... or a notification could have gone into a junk folder.

Sorry about being rude, just getting over swine flu. I havent felt like switching the pc on. I'll try get a screenie sorted.

Here we go
azraeel-albums-screenie-picture162-disk-man.png

Last edited:
Hi,

You might be surprised what the Disk Management screenie will reveal .

It usually results in the solution.

Look forward to seeing it.
Too much fracking stuff going on. bcdedit seems to show the problem. Run bcdedit and you get the contents of Windows Boot Manager. In Windows Boot Manager the device line reads Device.......Partition=F: which happens to be the dvd drive used to install W7. In Windows Boot Loader the line reads Device.......Partition=C:. Why bootmgr is created with the device equal to the install dvd drive is a mystery to me. But it would seem that what needs to be done is edit that line to read C:. However I can't understand the instructions I've read that seem to explain how to use bcdedit to edit Windows Boot Manager.

You can change that in bcdedit if it makes you happy:

Open an elevated command and type

bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:

press enter.

Post a screenie of disk management if you want anyone to help.

Too much fracking stuff going on. bcdedit seems to show the problem. Run bcdedit and you get the contents of Windows Boot Manager. In Windows Boot Manager the device line reads Device.......Partition=F: which happens to be the dvd drive used to install W7. In Windows Boot Loader the line reads Device.......Partition=C:. Why bootmgr is created with the device equal to the install dvd drive is a mystery to me. But it would seem that what needs to be done is edit that line to read C:. However I can't understand the instructions I've read that seem to explain how to use bcdedit to edit Windows Boot Manager.

I believe the best option is to start over after all this mess.:)

Use the Gparted Live ISO to create and/or shrink the partitions to your liking:
GParted -- Download

Worked like a charm for me. You cabn even format NTFS.

Make sure to go to Disk Management and create any partitions if you have unallocated space.

Very easy to use.

Last edited:
Hi Reghakr,

It is likely to be an very easy solution . Have come across and fixed similar issues many times.

Impossible to do without a screenie - the OP is not interested in providing one.

I hear ya, but this has wasted 4 days when it could be completed in a little over an hour.

2 days of the OP's time - could probably have been fixed in 5 mins. LOL

Last edited:
Solved the problem based on other advice. All the advice/suggestions in this thread would not have helped at all. I made the changes in bootmgr using bcdedit and still no boot. However, someone else asked about the boot priority setting as their first question. I looked in bios and in HD Boot Priority the setting was wrong. D: had boot priority. Correcting that solved the problem. A screenshot would not have helped since C: would show as the system disk but the incorrect boot priority would not. As REGHAKR noted this was four days work for a five minute solution. Well he did suggest an hour but the intention was right. It is of course my fault to have forgotten to check for errors in bios before complaining about anything.

Not your fault for not checking the bios boot order.

I knew the bcdedit commands would not help - but you were insistent - so ...

BTW - the screenshot would have helped - we would have seen one drive was "System", Active , and the other was Boot , Active.

Immediately confirming the suspicion the boot order needed changing.

In fact - upon seeing that - one would surmise the cdrom drive was first in boot order - the Boot , Active Drive was next, then last of the 3 - the system, active drive ( which needs to be first in the HD boot order- although it can be after the cdrom drive - as long as you don't have anything bootable in the cdrom drive ).

That is what is important - not how full one is , or isn't.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

Last edited:
Solved the problem based on other advice. All the advice/suggestions in this thread would not have helped at all. I made the changes in bootmgr using bcdedit and still no boot. However, someone else asked about the boot priority setting as their first question. I looked in bios and in HD Boot Priority the setting was wrong. D: had boot priority. Correcting that solved the problem. A screenshot would not have helped since C: would show as the system disk but the incorrect boot priority would not. As REGHAKR noted this was four days work for a five minute solution. Well he did suggest an hour but the intention was right. It is of course my fault to have forgotten to check for errors in bios before complaining about anything.

Sorry to be the one to point this out but you must be stupid.... the VERY FIRST message that replied to this thread was

Reghakr said:

"If you have two hard drives get into the Bios and change the drive to the one that Windows 7 is installed on

Make it the first boot device."

Here is the link http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-installation-upgrade/24197-missing-bootmgr.html

That exact recommendation wa apparently your solution.

Yes, one can't blame the OP for not knowing the solution - that is what Forums are for.

What is his fault is ignoring the advice he was given and the requests for information.

I was pretty sure of the solution - but to be absolutely - asked for a screenie ( often the OP will neglect to mention they have an external drive connected, etc which may be relevant).

Instead - received a reply that it wouldn't show anything useful.

OK - people get stressed by pc problems . So ask again politely .

The response this time , quoted my request - but again completely ignored it - going on about something irrelevant.

He then returns to tell us we don't know what we are talking about.

We await an apology.

I don't think we will get one - the Op was online earlier and probably read posts 31 - and possibly 32. He has now gone offline.

Last edited:
Similar Problem

I installed Windows 7 Profressional x64 upgraded from XP Home x86.
I have three drives.

C: Windows 7 - Is a RAID drive, my main drive.
I used to have XP on C:, I installed Win7 from DVD and I used the format the drive option in setup.

D: Stuff - Is where I have my pagefile and misc storage.
I used to have Win7 RC on D: and I have been using Win7 since May.
The D: drive was formatted before installing Win7 and I saved the Windows Easy Transfer backup file to that drive.

X: Windows XP - Is an e-SATA portable drive.
I used the Western Digital software to backup my entire XP RAID drive to the external drive so
- I could boot to XP by switching the boot drive in BIOS.

When I installed Win7 I left X: plugged in (by mistake) and Win7 setup put the bootmgr on X:.
The PC will not boot at all unless I boot to X: and choose Win7 in the bootmgr.
The PC does default to Win7 and will boot from C: if I don't touch anything.
I tried installing Win7 a second time with X: unplugged and again I used the format C: option in setup.
It still will not boot unless I set the BIOS to X:.
I get missing bootmgr or missing winloader errors.
I do not understand why it won't boot from C: if the drive was formatted by Win7 setup
- and the X: drive was disconnected when I setup Win 7 the second time.

I have been reading the forums looking for a solution, because it appears many people are having bootmgr problems.

First I tried EasyBCD 1.7.2.7 from NeoSmart Technologies - that did not help.

Then I tried booting from the install DVD and using the repair option - The repair does not detect any problem.

Next I tried booting from DVD, opening a command prompt window and entering
bootrec /fixmbr,
bootrec /fixboot,
bootrec /rebuildbcd - No Luck.

Today I tried opening a command prompt window from Win7 and entering
I got "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied".
I have been using PC's since the original 8088 IBM PC (DOS, W3.1, W95, W98, NT and XP).
I never installed Vista on my PC but I have Vista training and have fixed a lot of Vista PC's for my friends.
I do not know what you mean by opening an elevated command.

I want to be able to turn off my X: ternal drive and have
- Win7 boot from C: without any intervention from the bootmgr.
If I want to boot XP, I want be able to select the X: drive in BIOS, again with no bootmgr.
I really do not want to install Win7 a third time and have to setup all my software again.
I have already deleted my Easy Transfer backup file, but I can always use X: as my backup.
For security I want to unplug my X: ternal drive and put it somewhere safe and use it as little as possible.

I built my own PC with parts from Tiger Direct
APC Back-UPS ES 750 Watt
BFG 550 Watt Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 3.0 GHz - Overclocked to 3.6 GHz
EVGA nForce 750i ForTheWin Motherboard - 1600 FSB
EVGA GeForce 9600 GT - 1Gig DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Video Card
Acer 24â€Â￾ LCD Monitor
8 Gig 960 MHz Kingston DDR2 RAM - It is 1066 RAM but the system is unstable at that speed
Floppy - A:
500 Gig Maxtor SATA RAID Hard Drive - C:
500 Gig Maxtor SATA RAID Hard Drive - C:
500 Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA Hard Drive - D:
Lightscribe 22X DVD-RW - 48X CD-RW - IDE - E:
56X CD-ROM - IDE - F:
16 Gig USB Flash Drive - G:
1000 Gig Western Digital e-SATA External Backup - X:
RS-32 Serial PCI Card
Belkin 7 port USB 2.0 Hub
Bluetooth USB - Sabrent
HP 6988 Printer - USB
HP 3670 Scanner - USB
HP VGA Webcam with Microphone USB
Logitech diNovo Bluetooth Keyboard
Logitech MX100 Bluetooth Mouse
Logitech G5.1 Speakers
Microsoft PS/2 wired keyboard and ball mouse - For BIOS and to turn on the Bluetooth
My Logitech Bluetooth dongle died and the replacement I got does not start automatically with Windows.

All drivers are up to date and I recently flashed the BIOS on the MB before installing Win7.
I am using a Vista x64 (185.2) Geforce driver because the current Nvidia driver has DRASTICALLY poor performance.

Please help.
My system is working great, I LOVE Windows 7 but the boot problem is making me crazy.
Microsoft seems to have a problem with the setup routine because a lot of people are having similar issues.
I want to be able to unplug my backup drive and store it away.

Link to screen shot. Link Removed - Invalid URL
Screen shot is attached
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Hi,

Restart and go into Bios - set the 7 HD as the first HD in Bios boot order - it must be before the Stuff drive - it must also be before the external XP drive.( Good idea to remove other external devices - e'g your flash drive - beforehand)

Boot the 7 dvd and run startup repair 3 times.

You should then boot into 7.

Just saw that you don't want to add Xp to 7 boot menu.

Last edited:
Actually several comments. First I simply missed the first reply or forgot it and I did certainly apologize for forgetting it thus your diatribe is to be regretted. Second, a screen shot would be useless since it would show that C: where W7 is installed is the boot drive EVEN IF D: IS FIRST IN HDD BOOT PRIORITY IN BIOS. Try it. As I just did before replying. At least that is the case on my system. Third, I didn't really insist on using bcdedit but was clearly asking why it would read F: as boot . It doesn't seem to matter then what drive bootmagr references. Or maybe it does. I haven't gone back and edited bootmgr to see. Third, all anyone needed to do was list the steps to take...1. Check boot order. If correct then do X etc. as another site did. Listed a whole series of steps. IF this then that. Fourth, if you knew bcdedit wouldn't help, why not explain why since you believed I thought it would. Fifth, it APPEARS [not necessarily IS] that while expert in W7 none of you who replied are teaching types. There was a certain lack of skill in communicating and a lot of assumptions about the state of knowledge on the part of myself. Questions are usually asked by someone with LESS knowledge. Answers are best when you assume the questioner is ignorant [NOT STUPID as so piquantly asserted]. Sixth, I did note that after dealing with me the newest post with a problem [Neuromancr] was advised to check boot priority first before doing anything else like sending a screenshot. And lastly, let me apologize profusely to all who read this for going off on a tangent which really doesn't help anyone solve the issues involved.

, all anyone needed to do was list the steps to take...1. Check boot order.

That was the first thing you were advised to do. We assumed you tried it and there was no need to repeat it.

If correct then do X etc. as another site did. Listed a whole series of steps. IF this then that. Fourth, if you knew bcdedit wouldn't help, why not explain why since you believed I thought it would.

Do you not realize this sounds like you think everyone is here to help you ...for free. How many people have you helped? Do you read the post and try to give advice when you think you can help? It takes a lot of time ...and to try to tell everyone why something may not work doesn't really offer a solution.

Fifth, it APPEARS [not necessarily IS] that while expert in W7 none of you who replied are teaching types.

You are only digging yourself deeper into a hole. You were told exactly what to do in the first reply. It appears that the real problem here is YOU. Your aren't a "student type."

You are really getting me riled up... I'm about to post the "You can't handle the truth" speech... you know the part . " I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way"

questioner is ignorant [NOT STUPID as so piquantly asserted].

Go back and read what you wrote.... you drew "first blood" when you implied we were all stupid because you found the solution somewhere else... and Punctuated that remark by saying:

All the advice/suggestions in this thread would not have helped at all.

Even though it turned out to be exactly what reghakr told you to do.

Last edited:
Hi Odehart,

Did you read post 31 - clearly explaining the usefulness of a screenie.

Yes Neuromancer was given the advice you say in response to his first post - he provided the relevant information and attached a screenshot to that first post.

One could have made an educated guess without it - but it's always good to be sure.

You can change that in bcdedit if it makes you happy:

Open an elevated command and type

press enter.

Post a screenie of disk management if you want anyone to help.
Somewhat dry perhaps - but clearly indicating that is the command you were asking for - and that it would not help.

Indeed if you want help - post a screenie ( was that the third time of asking?)

Your attitude came across as , shall we say, unfortunate- tho. that may have been unintentional.

In any event - we are pleased you have your problem sorted out .

Last edited:
Hi, Reading the last page there seems to be a lot of grief aimed at the OP. Now please correct me if im wrong, but OP = original poster. Which in this threads case was me.

Now as i explained earlier, after i created this post i caught swine flu so have been unable to log in most of this week. Im a little confused as to why any grief would be aimed at me after me explaining i was sick!

I was asked to post a screenie of my disk manager. Which i have done.

Can anyone help from this info please?

Last edited:
Hi, Reading the last page there seems to be a lot of grief aimed at the OP. Now please correct me if im wrong, but OP = original poster. Which in this threads case was me.

Now as i explained earlier, after i created this post i caught swine flu so have been unable to log in most of this week. Im a little confused as to why any grief would be aimed at me after me explaining i was sick!
?

No grief is aimed at you.. it's the other guy who jumped in this thread with a similar problem then said we were no help at all and our advice would never fix the problem... when the posted solution was the exact info he needed. He just didn't read the thread then behaved as if it was our fault that he didn't do his homework.

Since he didn't want to read the thread he sould have just stared his own post.

Back