Windows Vista Missing Programs in All Programs

erndog105

Honorable Member
I am new to Vista and am having trouble with some of the differences. For now, I can not find a program I use in the All Program List. What am I doing wrong. I know it is there because search found it.
I have opened all the folders in All Programs as well and still can not find it.
Thanks for any help here.

Would you specify which program it is that you are missing? It may now be sitting in one of the sub folders.

I think I know what you mean... Let me explain... Sometimes after installing a program it won't appear in the start menu until after a reboot.. I'm not sure why it does this and can only think it has something to do with public/user folders??
Anyway try a reboot and see if it's there..

I have checked all folders. The photoshop elements 6 was on the computer when I purchased the computer and it does not appear. CCleaner is also not showing. There may be others but I am not looking for them now so not sure.

Hi erndog105

That photoshop elements 6 was probably a free trial installation and could have expired.
Strange though you cannot find any traces of programme!!
CCleaner must have been installed by yourself as it does not normally come pre-installed on a rig unless the machine was secondhand. Was the rig new£££
Also did you look for the missing programmes in "uninstall or change a programme." in the control panel??????

Elements was included in the package (not trial) but I have not regestered it as yet. CCleaner was added 2 days ago and I have re-booted the machine since.

Just for the experiment, try switching the menu to "Classic" view and see if the missing programs should reappear. Expiration of a demo.etc. should not normally dlete the menu entry..
Have you looked in the list in Windows explorer, to see if the programs are indeed there Path - users-username-Appdata-Roaming-Microsoft-Windows-StartMenu ?
One other possibility. Did the Vista installation come with a new machine? If so, is it possible that the retailer may have put on some "other usres " for his convenience, and you have acciidentally installed for that user only?

I received the following from John on another forum. This did do the trick.

"All Programs is simply a section of the Start Menu which displays shortcuts to the actual programs. A shortcut can be deleted or even never created, yet the program still exists. Browse through C:\Program Files to find the program, right-click it, select Copy, browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, right-click any blank area in the window, and select Paste Shortcut. That will give you the Start Menu (All Programs) shortcut back.

Hope this helps,
John"
thanks to all for working on this with me. Hopefully John's response will add to our knowledge.

Thank you erndog. It certainly has improved mine. I am an experienced Vista user but was not aware of that convenience!
I have a huge Dbase of common Vista problems, used in connection with my work. I have now included that!

Back