Monitor Power Supply Temperatures?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Yesterday my computer just shut down, instant black screen.

It would not restart (no power) so I opened it up and cleaned out the radiators and fan vents etc., it wasn't very dirty since I do this regularly but the radiators were partially blocked.

My monitoring software didn't show really high temps for the processor, in the upper 50 to low 60s centigrade.

In the past when my cooler failed I got a message in the bios that the computer had been shut down do to overheating. I didn't see that this time.

After I got it cleaned it still would not start, (no power) that's when I noticed that he power supply felt quite warm, not so hot you couldn't touch it but pretty warm.
I was about to give up on it, in fact I was about to walk out of the room when the light on the computer came back on.

Ok, I thought it is overheating so I started using it again now that I had cleaned it out.
It was fine until this morning when I was gaming and it shut down again.

This time I looked up Power Supply overheating since there was no indication that the processor was.

I have a bottom mounted power supply and the first thing I found was a message that said "make sure the fan on the bottom is clear and running.
I've had this computer for over 5 years and didn't know there was an air intake on the bottom. LOL

I turned it on it's side and the intake was completely blocked, it took a stiff brush to get the stuff loose.

Once I had it all cleaned I restarted it laying on it's side and the fan isn't running, probably because it's not hot enough to start it.

What I want to know is, is there some software that would let me monitor the temperature of the Power Supply as I can my processor.
I use CPUID HWMonitor.

Anyone know if there is a way to keep track of it?

I'm hoping that I solved the problem but have no way to check except use it and see if it shuts down again.

Mike

PS, I found something called Motherboard Monitor but it through so may Malware Threats I backed out of it.

Last edited:
Hi Neemo

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'll just have to stress it out and see it it happens again.

I'd like to know if the fan starts or not, but short of running it on it's side for a while I don't know anyway to check it.

I can't believe that I didn't know that there was a vent on the bottom.
There is actually a filter that you can pull out from the back to clean it, that I never noticed.

I'm just going to hope that it was the clogged filter that was causing the problem.

Thanks for the info nmsuk I'll check that out too.

I just had it shut down again so it's either the fan or the power supply, I don't think the fan is running.

If this is a desktop I'd recommend getting a stand. Keeping the tower at least 6" off the ground can help reduce the dust build up in the intake vents. I simply used an old computer tower as a stand for my desktop and my servers are in a half rack.

Back