Windows 7 Most users happy with Windows 7

It's not up to Microsoft to make Windows work with every piece of hardware in existence. It's up to the hardware manufacturer to provide drivers that work with Windows. You can't blame Windows for hardware problems. It's not their responsibility.
MR Stueycaster, I beg to differ, it IS the resposibility of Microsoft to make a new OS compatable with mainstream and recent hardware ALREADY on the market especially when they run an advertising campaign touting how "easy" it is to connect and work with.
Not even going to mention the Mac's ability to over come these very issues. As Microsoft tries to mimic Mac software the line between the two is becoming less defined and customers are going to be migrating to Mac at ever growing numbers. I know for a fact that I will spend a lot of time looking at Mac for my next computer purchase and will need some serious convincing to stay with PC s and Windows. At this point I regret my purchase. $1200 for a Mac seems like a real deal over a cheaper p c that won't print.
Microsofts days of dominance are diwindling as can be atested to simply by the fact that a forum like this exists and is SO SO full of problems and disgruntled owners.
AND guess what .... I STILL CAN NOT PRINT

Dechef,
I looked for your printer on the Canon website and found it in the archive section. I then ran the printer through the compatibility centre for 7 and it's possible that it's not compatible with 7. See screenshot:

OK folks , still not working , BUT the printer is actually a PIXMA MS 760 I'm not sure why I typed in the wrong number. I thank you for your search and info on drivers
Long before i resorted to this site, I downloaded and installed , removed and re-installed the drivers from the Cannon web site for the RIGHT printer. I even verified that it would work for a Win 7 X 64 bit

A thought ! would it make any difference if I installed that same driver on the windows XP computer that is physically connected to the printer ? I don't see how it posibly could , but then again, desperate times ...

well at least my rage has subsided and the family can approach me in relative safety again another advantage is , I will not be commiting suicide over this ..... because I can't leave a note , printer doesn't work !

dechef, Canon support site does not show drivers for a PIXMA MS 760. Assuming that you made a typo, and the actual printer model is a PIXMA MP 760, verify that you downloaded the file named <mp760vst64620en.exe> from the link shown below. Verify also that your Windows 7 version is, in fact, 64 bit. This driver is listed by Canon as tested and working for Windows 7 x64 as well as Vista x64. If this is a different file (driver) from the one that you are downloading for your Windows 7 x64, try this one and see if it fixes your problem. (If you have both 32 bit and 64 bit computers trying to print to the same printer, this may be confusing the printer???) As you have discovered, and although it is a quite significant improvement, Windows 7 does retain a certain amount of the hardware and software incompatability that made Vista so infamous so your printer just may not work with Windows 7. Have you tried to connect the printer to the Windows 7 computer by USB cable and see if it will work that way and still work wirelessly with the other computers? (just a thought if this is practical to try. It happens to be a Canon PIXMA MP 600 that I am using via USB for my Windows 7 Machine.)

Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printers - Photo All-In-One Inkjet Printer - Photo Fun Projects - Photo All-In-One Printer - PIXMA MP760 - Canon USA Consumer Products

This link MAY be helpful also.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12246/share-a-printer-on-your-network-from-vista-or-xp-to-windows-7/

A thought ! would it make any difference if I installed that same driver on the windows XP computer that is physically connected to the printer ? I don't see how it posibly could , but then again, desperate times ...

the driver must be installed where the printer is "home" or it will not work.

there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I will double check the driver, what i was using was a driver listed on the canon site V6.2 i think and it was specificly marked as compatible with win 7 X64

now when you refer to "home" for the printer, I am asumming the machine that it is hardwired to USB , that means I need the correct driver for WIN 7 on the XP machine .... I would also need the compatible driver for XP on the "home" machine so the xp / home computer will have 2 drivers
Will that work or will i have to switch between drivers , basicly re-install every time I print from a different computer ?

Hell , I hope these computers don't get any "better" or we'll be using Crayolas again !

I would also need the compatible driver for XP on the "home" machine so the xp / home computer will have 2 drivers

no you install the XP driver on the XP machine and win7 driver on the win7x64 machine
as you wont be able to install an 64bit driver on an 32bit OS

are you able to print from your win7 machine if it's connected via the USB cable at all

I will double check the driver, what i was using was a driver listed on the canon site V6.2 i think and it was specificly marked as compatible with win 7 X64

now when you refer to "home" for the printer, I am asumming the machine that it is hardwired to USB , that means I need the correct driver for WIN 7 on the XP machine .... I would also need the compatible driver for XP on the "home" machine so the xp / home computer will have 2 drivers
Will that work or will i have to switch between drivers , basicly re-install every time I print from a different computer ?

Hell , I hope these computers don't get any "better" or we'll be using Crayolas again !

dachef, read the "How to Geek" article linked in a previous post and browse through the list of articles available at that site. There have been recent articles outlining how to print from a Windows 7 computer to a printer attached to an XP machine and another one outlining how to print from an XP machine to a printer attached to a Windows 7 machine. Read those articles and try both setups. Maybe one will work for you. I realize that I'm suggesting that you spend a lot of time experimenting just hoping to stumble on a combination that works for you, but if you find one; won't it have been worth the effort? Just make restore points at every step along the way so you will always have an easy path out of a screw-up if something unexpected happens.

does anyone have an opinion on this idea for a solution, does it sound right ?

Printer Sharing Between Xp (32bit) And Windows 7 (64bit)

IF the xp driver on the xp computer and the win7 driver on the win7 computer worked .... I wouldn't be ... that's how I started . the obvious first...

one or two more shots at it , then a couple of days off to clear the mind, uninstall eveything and try again

THEN GET A MAC ......

usually you install the printer at home, where the printer is wire-connected to the PC, including the matching driver - test print and check it works. The other PCs on the network connect to this (make shared) printer through network-printing (add network printer)

what do I miss?

IT WORKS
THANKS TO ONE AND ALL FOR THE CONTINUED SUPPORT IN TRYING TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

Communities / forums like this are truly one of the good things that came out of the internet.
People who will never know each other reaching out and sharing their knowledge and more importantly time to help strangers.

Kinda restores your faith in human nature , thank you

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/index.php/Printer-Sharing-Xp-32bit-Windows-7-64bit_t70723.html

maybe some one who knows how, could post this link to assist other wayward souls stuck in the same situation

there is a "Add Printer" wiz in 7 as well as in XP's control panel - once the printer is shared it is as easy as picking the shared network printer from a list in this wiz and all is done (driver installation) auto magically.

looks like the image handler is broken in this forum

IT WORKS
THANKS TO ONE AND ALL FOR THE CONTINUED SUPPORT IN TRYING TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN.

Communities / forums like this are truly one of the good things that came out of the internet.
People who will never know each other reaching out and sharing their knowledge and more importantly time to help strangers.

Kinda restores your faith in human nature , thank you

http://www.knowledgesutra.com/index.php/Printer-Sharing-Xp-32bit-Windows-7-64bit_t70723.html

maybe some one who knows how, could post this link to assist other wayward souls stuck in the same situation

Fantastic news! Thanks for updating..

Is it worth it

I haven't upgraded to windows 7 yet for the fact of all the problems with any new MS OS.

Is this one really good or are there still lot's of bugs to get worked out of it?

Depends on what sort of hardware your trying to run it on and what software you have that you wish to use with it ... I've been using win7 since beta and have only found 1 piece of hardware and 3 programs that didn't want to work out of the box which for two of them it was a simple patch install and find another program for the other and as for the hardware it still does not have an driver but then what did I expect for something that hasn't had a new driver since 2006..... So to answer you question about is it worth it...... well Yes it is you get an modern and up to date OS thats more secure and easier to use :D

I haven't upgraded to windows 7 yet for the fact of all the problems with any new MS OS.

Is this one really good or are there still lot's of bugs to get worked out of it?

The business world typically waits for SP1, until they switch, for a reason. If you do not rely on XP dated software and your hardware is fairly recent then all should be well.

If you do have XP software then get 7Pro or better and you can install the XP-VM in which everything old runs fine and speedy.

I went from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows 7 Ultimate BETA and simply LOVED IT.

The day Win 7 was released I quickly purchased my copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64 bit.

Back
Top Bottom