Windows 8 motherboard and cpu

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Both seem to hover around 49-50 c - My pc is i5 and this reading is while accessing forums and writing as I am doing here.
Is this normal or high?
Thank you

Sounds about right.Personally I'd be happier seeing the motherboard temp a bit lower but temps can differ greatly from system to system and as long as there's good airflow you should be fine. The true test is what your system temp is like when at 100% load.Whilst it's rare to see a system at a 100% under normal use unless your running a particular application (or gaming) and even then it's not for very long, you still want to know your cooling is adequate.

Hi

This seems a bit high to me, what you are seeing is about what I see at load for my i7 3.6 Ghz processor.

Just for comparison my system runs at about 30 C for the mother board at minimum usage, with processor temps from 30 to 37 C.

Under extreme load, i.e. running an intense game in 3D stereo temperatures can get into the 50s.

I'm really conscious of this right now because I had a cooler failure about a month ago that let temps hit 90 C which shut the computer down.

Mike

Your inside air temp will have a big effect also. If it's 80+ inside and you aren't liquid cooled it will be higher.
Joe

My desktop shows 32C motherboard and 25 CPU. It is the laptop that shows the figures above.
I was just reading that Speccy was giving inaccurate readings at a forum but I do not know if that is true or not.
Oddly enough, as I surf, I find my laptop figures above to be about right.
I have to look into this so I can tell if the laptop needs attention.

Hi

I've never checked but I'd expect a laptop to run hotter then a desktop.
They just don't have the space for cooling that something in a big case does.

Mike

Hi

I'll check the temps on my wife's laptop this evening and post back.
She has an i7 processor etc.

I know my PC doesn't run that warm.

Mike

My wife's laptop is running about the same as my PC at idle, and after making it work a little it got up to about 42 C, but that's about as high as it got.

Your figures still seem a little high but the main thing is whether is gets above the 70s when it's working hard.

I know my computer shuts down at 90 degrees, as long as you don't get up into that range your are probably Ok.

You can download an app that will stress your computer and see if it overheats.

Right now I can't remember or find the one that I've used.
Maybe someone here has a suggestion.

Last edited:
My pc has never shut down and I'll keep an eye on it. I am going to have a friend, who is in the business, test it in a couple of weeks.

I just ram Speccy and compared it with my Bios temp monitor. Both were identical.

fwiw. I am sitting at a Dell "stationary Touchscreen , i7 Computer. This is a unique model, with the main components (mothertboard etc) in the base of the monitor. This base is smaller than the average laptop. My current temperatures are 58, on one core, down to 51 on another core, with an average 4% load.. The motherboard is at 62.
This has always been the case, and the computer has never cut out.

I'll be back when the tech looks it over. It's a freebie as the tech is a friend in the business.
I appreciate your advice.

Back