Windows 7 Move Delete in the Context Menu.

Elmer

Extraordinary Member
Going back to my days on XP, I lost count of the number of times I went to rename a file only for it to disappear because I'd clicked Delete in the Context Menu instead.

This set me on a mission to find out how to change the order of the context menu entries, eventually stumbling across the right string values. This was then continued when I joined the modern world by buying Windows 7.

My system file modification changes the bottom of the context menu from this:
DeleteStandard.png

To this:
DeleteMod.png

You'll need to prepare yourself with a modification to the registry to add Take Ownership to the context menu (the easiest option) and download and install ResHack 3.6.0 by Angus J (if you find the tool really helpful, send him an email of gratitude, maybe even a couple of bob. Up to you!).

If you're running a 32bit system you have one file to modify, but if running a 64bit system you'll have to modify two same named files in System32\en-US and SysWOW64\en-US. They are slightly different so must be treated as separate entities.

OK, so go to the the Windows Shell32(SysWOW64) en-US folder(s), locate the shell32.dll.mui file, r-click and take ownership and then copy it to a safe place for editing. Open ResHack 3.6.0 and drag n drop or search for the shell32.dll.mui file you've just copied and open it.

In the left hand panel expand the "Menu" folder, then scroll down to string #210 and open that.

In the right hand panel you should see as below:
Code:
210 MENUEX
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "", 65535, MFT_SEPARATOR, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}
}
All you need to do is replace that table with this:
Code:
210 MENUEX
LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH, SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US
{
POPUP "", 0, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED, 0
{
    MENUITEM "Cu&t", 24, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Copy", 25, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Paste", 26, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Rena&me", 18, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "Create &Shortcut", 16, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
    MENUITEM "&Delete", 17, MFT_STRING, MFS_ENABLED
}
}

Above the window press Compile Script. Then GoTo the Menu bar, press File, press Save. Your modified file will be automagically backed up with _original added into the file name.

Now to swap them over! GoTo the original location(s). Rename the original files by adding say, old to the end of the file name. Copy and paste your (correct, 32 or 64) modified files into the en-US folder(s), when done, re-boot.

And that's all there is to it, (he says! :))

Here is a link to a pair of modified SP1 compliant Shell32.dll.mui files for those who want to skip the fun of modifying your own files! The only change being this modification.

HTH.

Last edited:
I have to agree 100% Elmer, the Delete option is badly positioned and should be away from the rest with a break line inbetween like yoy have created

Great tut! i think its a must!

Wow. Well done. Impressed.

I've been littering forums with 'how do I's', registered with several today alone (each time I see a useful author I want to thank... and interrogate. Men & fish :)

Elmer, this is amazing.

Can anyone shed any light on the following:

1) Remove context menu items:

• Share with: I'd like to continue to use the old-school, manual method of creating setups (via the 'Sharing' Property Sheet in Properties [I think it's called that?!] by right-clicking a folder and selecting properties... the "Share with" context menu (I think) is for Homegroup Sharing...

1. Cut, Copy, Paste: Can you disable (or hide) these, whilst retaining the CTRL+x/c/v hotkey functionality?!
  2. Rename: As above (F2?)
  3. ...
2) Extend context menu items:

• Restore Previous versions: (NB: Is there a way of seeing which folders are being monitored/indexed/have previous versions available? (I've yet to find one?! Maybe I've disabled this functionality... Maybe this could just be disabled, which I think's been covered)
Open in new window: I don't use this (tend to open window groups with amazing QTTab
Include in library: Rarely required?
3) tbc!

To anyone that even reads and coniders, thanks and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom