Windows 8 msconfig + normal startup = no boot up

Figi4

Im using Win 8.1 on an HP Pavilion x2 tablet pc. Today my wireless adapter would not recognize my wifi connection no matter what I tried (reboot, diagnose, reboot) so I went into msconfig to run safe mode to try it there. Well it worked. So I figured it must be a program/app causing the problem (most likely the last thing I did was reboot after Avast did an update). I went back into msconfig to turn off safe mode and that's when I saw that selective startup was checked. Not knowing why I selected normal startup and unchecked safe mode. At reboot I get a blue screen that stated "PC needs repair - error 0xc0000225" When trying to select F8 or enter it did nothing. ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings worked but I was at a loss of what to do there even after searching.

Luckily I found my restore flash drive. After trying multiple suggestions for repairing the boot file it finally started up just fine. Not sure what command finally did it. (I was unable to select system restore etc from my menu for some reason but was able to get into cmd.) Anyway, after it loaded up I went back into msconfig, it's at Selective Startup again.

Just curious why it is on that and not normal startup and why would it not boot at all when I chose normal? Hopefully I will not forget this and go through this again in the future.

If any of the services are disabled or drivers are disabled it will automatically switch to selective startup. Sounds like you a driver or service may have been disabled that was casuing issues. BSODs are generally due to driver problems.

ERROR_INSTRUCTION_MISALIGNMENT
549 (0x225)

An attempt was made to execute an instruction at an unaligned address and the host system does not support unaligned instruction references.

You probably pissed of UEFI (secure boot) by changing something it didn't like

Ok, that makes sense. Good to know. I will peek around and see what I can find there. Thank you

If you're an OCD type of person, and you want your Boot mode to run back in "Normal" mode, that might require a Windows reset or more likely a complete Windows reinstallation from Factory Recovery Media discs. This might require that you make those discs, and if you are on a tablet that means you'll have to buy an external usb dvd writer to do so. You can buy one here on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EQ0IF7Y?psc=1

Another way to go, is to simply purchase the Factory Recovery Media (DVD discs or USB stick) directly from the computer manufacturer. Some companies such as Dell, HP, and now Toshiba, allow you to order the Media online with a Credit Card. I just did this with a Toshiba C855 a couple of weeks ago; and of course since it's from Toshiba, it worked flawlessly! :up: Others will require you to make a phone call to their Tech Support. Cost is $29-$99 US. Assuming that you're hard drive hasn't failed, this will take care of that problem. If you prefer to do your own hardware testing first, which is a good idea since tablets, as laptops and cell phones do take a beating, especially with inadvertent drops, here's a link to do that: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Start reading at POST #6 under username BIGBEARJEDI.

Hope this information proves useful to you.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back