ragnarok1968

Hey everyone! how goes it? I own an MSi Gaming laptop with the steel series keyboard and it can be used in UBUNTU 18.04 LTS.

I wanted to put this tutorial up here on how to get your steel series keyboards to function in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

First I did a search for the msi steel series keyboard software.

First I ran the command in terminal:

apt search steelseries

this gave me:
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
msi-keyboard/bionic,now 1.1-2 amd64 [installed] (by this time, I had already installed it!)
command line tool to change MSI steelseries keyboards color setup

next I threw the command to install the steel series keyboard software on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

sudo apt-get install msi-keyboard

you'll go through the installation process and when it is done throw this command:

sudo apt-get update

now you should have MSi's steel series software installed. it can only be managed via command line in terminal. in order to change
mode, color and intensity, there is a command syntax to do so. So I set mine to normal (mode), green (color), high intensity.

please note* you have to throw the mode/color/intensity for the left,middleand right sides of the keyboard

so suppose you want green for all sections of the keyboard, you'll throw this command in terminal:

msi-keyboard -m normal -c left,green,high -c middle,green,high -c right,green,high
mode left middle right
note about this command,

this is what you are telling your system to do:

msi-keyboard -m(mode) normal, gaming, breathe, demo, wave..
-c(color) off, red, orange, yellow, green, sky, blue, purple and white.
-c left,green,high means left-side of keyboard, green and high intensity.

in order to invoke a new mode, color, intensity etc... must be done via command line in terminal!

enjoy!

Last edited:
so you can mix things up:
msi-keyboard -m normal -c left,red,high -c middle,white,high -c right,blue,high (you get the american flag)

enjoy!

I threw the msi-keyboard help command
msi-keyboard -h

I got this:

Usage: msi-keyboard [options]
Keyboard color changer for MSI steelseries keyboards

Options:
-h, --help Displays this help.
-v, --version Displays version information.
-m, --mode <mode> set color <mode>: normal, gaming, breathe, demo, wave
-c, --color <color> set a <color> using the format: region,color,intensity

Available regions:

left
middle
right

Available colors:

off
red
orange
yellow
green
sky
blue
purple
white

Available intensities:

high
medium
low
light

Example:

msi-keyboard -m normal -c left,red,high -c middle,purple,high -c right,sky,high

Very good tutorial, thank you very much.
I have a msi laptop with steel series keyboard and ubuntu 18.04 and work perfectly.

The <mode>: normal, gaming, breathe, demo, wave only works with normal and gaming mode, the others switch of the keyboard lights

Back