My Internet USB Modem starts downloading by itself

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by Riff88, Jan 31, 2016.

  1. Riff88

    Riff88 Honorable Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Everyone,

    I have a Huawei E367 Internet USB Modem, which I use on my Laptop (Windows 7, 32-bit), and my PC (Windows 7, 32-bit). (Internet connection is MTN South Africa)

    The USB works fine on my Laptop, it opens the Internet when I ask it to, and it downloads only when I ask it to.

    When I put the USB in my PC, and press connect, to connect to the Internet, it starts downloading, continuously in Mb's. This happens when I open a webpage or not. Even if I close all my webpages, it continues to download in volumes, until I disconnect it.

    I've checked in my downloads folder, there is nothing there. Windows Update is not set to automating updating, and there is no program on my PC, that I am aware of, that should be downloading anything. I don't know what the problem is.

    Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
     
  2. helpifIcan

    helpifIcan Extraordinary Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Messages:
    768
    Likes Received:
    23
    Have you checked for malware, if you don't have it download malewarebytes free edition and run to check for any bad programs.
     
  3. Riff88

    Riff88 Honorable Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yes I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I've run it, no bugs. I'll give it a second run, maybe something comes up.
     
  4. Neemobeer

    Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2015
    Messages:
    2,409
    Likes Received:
    363
    You can use tcpview from sysinternals TCPView for Windows and sort by "Received Bytes" to see what processes are downloading data.
     
  5. Riff88

    Riff88 Honorable Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2009
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thank you, Neemobeer. I've solved the issue.

    I opened Resource Monitor (search "resource"), and opened the network activity. At fist I thought it was Avast, because it (instup.exe) kept trying to update itself, I went to update it manually. No problem.

    Then I saw a process called SVCHOST.EXE (NETWORK SERVICE), with its address "CACHE.GOOGLE.COM". I went and cleared Google Chrome's cache, cookies etc. and the problem was solved! I restarted, opened my Internet USB, connected, without opening a page, and it did nothing, just stayed quiet, no downloading, nothing.

    It appears that something in the Google Chrome cache, was still downloading something.

    Thanks for all the advice!
     

Share This Page

Loading...