Windows 7 My Internet USB Modem starts downloading by itself

Riff88

Honorable Member
Hi Everyone,

I have a Huawei E367 Internet USB Modem, which I use on my Laptop (Windows 7, 32-bit), and my PC (Windows 7, 32-bit). (Internet connection is MTN South Africa)

The USB works fine on my Laptop, it opens the Internet when I ask it to, and it downloads only when I ask it to.

When I put the USB in my PC, and press connect, to connect to the Internet, it starts downloading, continuously in Mb's. This happens when I open a webpage or not. Even if I close all my webpages, it continues to download in volumes, until I disconnect it.

I've checked in my downloads folder, there is nothing there. Windows Update is not set to automating updating, and there is no program on my PC, that I am aware of, that should be downloading anything. I don't know what the problem is.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Have you checked for malware, if you don't have it download malewarebytes free edition and run to check for any bad programs.

Have you checked for malware, if you don't have it download malewarebytes free edition and run to check for any bad programs.
Yes I have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I've run it, no bugs. I'll give it a second run, maybe something comes up.

Thank you, Neemobeer. I've solved the issue.

I opened Resource Monitor (search "resource"), and opened the network activity. At fist I thought it was Avast, because it (instup.exe) kept trying to update itself, I went to update it manually. No problem.

Then I saw a process called SVCHOST.EXE (NETWORK SERVICE), with its address "CACHE.GOOGLE.COM". I went and cleared Google Chrome's cache, cookies etc. and the problem was solved! I restarted, opened my Internet USB, connected, without opening a page, and it did nothing, just stayed quiet, no downloading, nothing.

It appears that something in the Google Chrome cache, was still downloading something.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back