Windows 7 MY PICTURES

LynSummers

WHEN I AM IN MY PICTURES IN EXPLORER (WINDOWS 7) IN ADDITION TO EACH PICTURE IN A FOLDER THERE IS A SUB-FOLDER WITH TWO COMPRESSED VERSIONS OF THE PICTURE. HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE? IF i TRY DELETING THEM THEY COME BACK NEXT TIME I OPER THE FOLDER.

I seem to remember something about saving thumbnails with the photos. Can't remember if this is a Windows activity or something else. I will have to do some research.

How did you put the pictures on your system?

Hi, These are not thumbnails they are compressed versions of the photos typically at 12 KB and 64 KB - as if they are ready for uploading.

They are not on the older photos, but when I open a directory of older photos something somewhere runs a compression and the new directories appear. If I delete them they appear again when I open the directory. All ways of putting photos in result in this - downloaded from camera, scanned, downloaded from memory stick.

But you have now got me thinking about Windows Live Mail - perhaps that is doing it - in preparation for possible upload to email?

I don't have much experience with live mail, so I can't address that possibility.

We did some testing once with Adobe because the shortcuts for .pdf files were not showing as thumbnails. I believe it was the x64 Windows 7 version, but not sure, the thumbnails would only be created when you opened a folder with those files in it. Maybe in your case, the same type of thing is going on, except not thumbnails but a compressed version of the photo for other uses, as you suggest. If not Live Mail, possibly some other photo editing or viewing software. Since I have not seen the behavior on my system, I could only guess.

You might check any sharing settings in case a multimedia utility is getting them ready to share or stream, like a slide show. If you check the properties for the folder, or the parent folder, does it say anything about what the folder is optimized for? I suppose if it is optimized for photos, you would see small copies of the pictures in the folder icon.

I have been trying to think of something you could watch to see if any activity showed up, and all I might suggest is to watch Task Manager to see if the CPU usage shows on one of the Processes. If you were to notice a process becoming active at that time, we could pin it down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom