Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 10 My WiFi needs to be constantly reset, any help?

vestalcry

My PC doesn't actually have a NIC and therefore I bought a USB NIC. It's capable of handling 5GHz connections but I'm not sure if it's relevant to my issue.
Anyway, the main issue is:

My "default gateway" suddenly becomes unavailable after any amount of time. This ranges from 5 minutes, to even 30 minutes. However, it always persists in failing me and at some point will suddenly disconnect.​
Screenshot 2024-05-23 191518.png
I only began encountering this issue after I changed my router, and it seems to be just my PC that is affected by this intermittent connection. I checked for outdated drivers (perhaps not thoroughly enough) and I will check again after this post.

For specifics, I have the 'REALTEK 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC'. This may be unauthentic however as I grabbed it off of ebay for around £3-4.

If anybody has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

(Yes, I did actually have to run network diagnostics again just to continue writing this post)

It sounds like you're experiencing a frustrating issue with your network connection. There are several factors that could be causing this problem with your USB NIC. Here are some steps you can take to potentially resolve the issue:

**1. Update Your USB NIC Drivers:**
Outdated or incompatible drivers can often cause connectivity issues. Visit the Realtek website or the website of the vendor from which you purchased the NIC, and download the latest drivers for your specific model.

**2. Change Power Management Settings:**
Windows may be turning off your USB NIC to save power. To change this setting:
- Go to **Device Manager**.
- Find your USB NIC under the **Network adapters** section.
- Right-click on the NIC and select **Properties**.
- Go to the **Power Management** tab.
- Uncheck **Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power**.
- Click **OK**.

**3. Disable USB Selective Suspend:**
This setting in Windows can sometimes cause issues with USB devices.
- Open the **Control Panel**.
- Go to **Hardware and Sound** > **Power Options**.
- Click on **Change plan settings** next to your current power plan.
- Click on **Change advanced power settings**.
- In the Power Options window, expand **USB settings** and then **USB selective suspend setting**.
- Set both **On battery** and **Plugged in** to **Disabled**.
- Click **Apply** and **OK**.

**4. Ensure Router Compatibility:**
Since the issue started after changing your router, it's worth ensuring that your router is fully compatible with your USB NIC. Check the router's settings and ensure it supports the WiFi standards used by your NIC.

**5. Change Wireless Channels:**
Interference from other wireless networks can cause connectivity issues. Changing the wireless channel on your router can help:
- Look for the wireless settings section.
- Change the wireless channel to a less congested one (channels 1, 6, and 11 are usually less congested).

**6. Reset Network Settings:**
Resetting your network settings can sometimes resolve persistent issues.
- Open the **Settings** app.
- Go to **Network & Internet**.
- Scroll down and click on **Network reset**.
- Click **Reset now**, then click **Yes** to confirm.

**7. Consider a Different USB NIC:**
Sometimes, cheaper or unauthentic network adapters can have reliability issues. If none of the above solutions work, consider purchasing a more reliable, perhaps slightly more expensive, USB NIC from a reputable brand.

**Quick Reference Table:**

| Solution | Description |
|----------------------------------|---------------------------------------------------------------|
| Update USB NIC Drivers | Ensure you have the latest drivers for your NIC from Realtek. |
| Change Power Management Settings | Prevent Windows from turning off your NIC to save power. |
| Disable USB Selective Suspend | Disable this feature to prevent USB device issues. |
| Ensure Router Compatibility | Verify that your router supports your NIC's WiFi standards. |
| Change Wireless Channels | Reduce interference by switching to a less congested channel. |
| Reset Network Settings | Reset all your network settings to default. |
| Consider a Different USB NIC | Try using a more reputable and reliable USB NIC. |

Give these solutions a try, and hopefully, one of them will resolve your connectivity issues! If the problem persists, let me know, and we can explore further troubleshooting steps.

Experiencing intermittent connectivity issues can be frustrating. Here are several potential solutions to address the issue with your USB NIC and maintain a stable connection:

**1. Confirm the Authenticity and Compatibility of Hardware:**
Since you mentioned that the USB NIC might be unauthentic, consider obtaining a reliable and compatible USB NIC from a reputable source. Cheap and non-authentic adapters often lack the necessary quality and support for stable connections.

**2. Update Network Drivers:**
Ensure you have the latest drivers for your USB NIC. Here’s how you can do it:

**- Download and install the latest drivers:**
Visit the Realtek website or the website of the USB NIC manufacturer to download the most recent drivers specific to your NIC model.

**- Device Manager Update:**
1. Press `Win + X` and select `Device Manager`.
2. Expand the `Network adapters` section.
3. Right-click on the REALTEK 8812BU adapter and select `Update driver`.
4. Choose `Search automatically for updated driver software`.

**3. Adjust Power Management Settings:**
Sometimes, power management settings can cause the network adapter to be turned off to save power, leading to connectivity issues.

1. Press `Win + X` and select `Device Manager`.
2. Expand the `Network adapters` section.
3. Right-click on the REALTEK 8812BU adapter and select `Properties`.
4. Go to the `Power Management` tab.
5. Uncheck `Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power`.

**4. Disable USB Selective Suspend:**
Disabling USB selective suspend in power options can prevent the USB NIC from disconnecting.

1. Press `Win + S` and type `Power & sleep settings`.
2. Click on `Additional power settings`.
3. Click on `Change plan settings` next to your current plan.
4. Click on `Change advanced power settings`.
5. Expand `USB settings` and `USB selective suspend setting`.
6. Set both `On battery` and `Plugged in` to `Disabled`.

**5. Configure Network Settings:**

**- Change the Wi-Fi channel:**
If other devices are not affected and your PC is the only one experiencing this issue, your new router might be interfering on certain channels. Use a Wi-Fi analyzer tool to find the least congested channel and change the router’s Wi-Fi channel settings.

**- Set a Static IP Address:**
Your PC might be having trouble renewing its IP address frequently. Setting a static IP address can help mitigate this.

1. Press `Win + R`, type `ncpa.cpl`, and press Enter.
2. Right-click on your Wi-Fi connection and select `Properties`.
3. Select `Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)` and click `Properties`.
4. Select `Use the following IP address` and enter an IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway that corresponds to your network.

**6. Windows Network Troubleshooter:**
You can also use the built-in Windows Network Troubleshooter to help diagnose and fix common network issues.

1. Press `Win + I` to open `Settings`.
2. Go to `Update & Security` > `Troubleshoot`.
3. Click on `Additional troubleshooters`.
4. Select `Internet Connections` and run the troubleshooter.

**7. Check Router Settings:**
Since the problem started after changing your router, ensure no settings on the router might be causing conflicts, such as MAC address filtering or IP address limitations.

**8. Test with Another Device:**
Ensure the issue is not specific to your PC running the USB NIC. Test the USB NIC on another device to determine if the issue persists.

Implementing these troubleshooting steps should provide a clearer idea of the underlying issue and might very well solve the intermittent connectivity problem you're experiencing. If the issue persists, consider contacting the manufacturer’s support for additional assistance.

@ChatGPT can you describe the image that was posted?

Certainly! The image posted is a screenshot of the Windows Network Diagnostics tool.

The details are as follows:

**Issues found**:
- Both issues identified indicate that "The default gateway is not available."
- The diagnostics tool has **Fixed** the issue in both cases.

For one of the issues, it suggests:
- Resetting the "WiFi 2" adapter, which has been **Completed**.
- Investigating router or broadband modem issues, which has not been run (**Not run**).

There's also a line explaining what the default gateway is:
- "The default gateway is a device that connects a local network or computer to the Internet. A broadband modem or router is usually the default gateway."

This indicates that the diagnostic tool identified the problem with the default gateway being unavailable and resolved it temporarily by resetting the adapter.

Back