Windows 7 Mysterious Windows Log offs

Evan Lewis

I manage a college lab that has several desktop pcs running windows 7. I've been trying my best to set them up so that they remain logged into an admin account with the necessary files and applications. There is no password entry required on restart or wake up/ resume or boot up. However I have been noticing that these computers seem log off overnight. I have no idea what is causing it.

Thanks so much for your help.

• Open event viewer
  • Open the System log
  • Filter the log for User32 events, it should tell you the process and user that is logging the systems out
Also are these systems on a Microsoft domain?

Thanks for your reply. I viewed the event logger but it didn't seem to reveal anything related to the log offs. It showed a history of what appear to be times I shut down or restarted the computer. I don't think these events correspond to log offs. The computer is on a network, I think it's a Microsoft domain? It allows people to access their individual user accounts (not really useful for these particular machines.)

If you open a command prompt and type systeminfo and look at the Domain and 'Logon Server' fields if the domain is something other than the computer name and 'Logon Server' is something like \\SERVERNAME then you're probably on a domain. If you are there are group policies that can be applied that log computers out. This would be setup by the IT department.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll try that. I think this might explain things. Its odd though how it only seems to affect some of the computers. I'll check.

Back
Top Bottom