Windows 7 Need help finding a motherboard.

Need more information. You need help finding a motherboard for what purpose? Do you need a replacement that will work with your CPU?

Yes I am trying to find a motherboard that will work with my current CPU and GPU. I'm very bad with computers so I have no idea.

Also. What kind of ram do I need for it too.

The GPU shouldn't be an issue it will use a PCI.e x16 socket which pretty much every motherboard has. You will want to make note of the CPU socket type and RAM type to make sure they work.

That CPU is an AMD3 socket (not to be confused with AM3+) and the RAM DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 MHz
Amazon does filter by socket so just make sure it's AM3
Amazon.com: motherboard - AMD / DDR3 / Motherboards / Computer Components: Electronics

This link will only show you AMD boards that support DDR3

The GPU shouldn't be an issue it will use a PCI.e x16 socket which pretty much every motherboard has. You will want to make note of the CPU socket type and RAM type to make sure they work.

That CPU is an AMD3 socket (not to be confused with AM3+) and the RAM DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800 MHz
Amazon does filter by socket so just make sure it's AM3
Amazon.com: motherboard - AMD / DDR3 / Motherboards / Computer Components: Electronics

This link will only show you AMD boards that support DDR3
Thank you so much. This board caught my eye. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019C3RM74/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1503351926&sr=1-22&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:5657494011,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2057457011&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=motherboard&dpPl=1&dpID=51FLLTXMZoL&ref=plSrch Any ram with the same socket will work just like a CPU?

Any ram with the same socket will work just like a CPU?
No! Just because RAM physically fits a slot, that does NOT mean it is compatible with that board!

Whenever you buy a new motherboard, you need to look at the motherboard's QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for compatible CPUs and RAM. You must use a listed CPU to ensure compatibility. However, there are too many RAM makers and RAM models for motherboard makers to test and certify them all. So you don't have to use listed RAM but you should use RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

Your board's QVLs are listed here under CPU Support and Support List.

Also, it is important to understand that a new motherboard constitutes a new computer in terms of software licensing. If your current Windows license is an OEM/System Builders license, or you "upgraded" to your current OS based on an existing OEM/System Builders license (and the vast majority of current license fall into one or both of those categories), to be legal you will need to buy a new Windows license too.

If me, I would buy all new with the latest technologies. DDR3 is old technology RAM, for example.

If your current system did not used to be "slow, laggy, and freezing" and you are not ready to upgrade the RAM and CPU as well as the motherboard and Windows, it might be better to try and sort out the problems you currently are having - especially since the cause of your "slow, laggy, and freezing" performance may not be your motherboard.

And FTR, I also have been using Gigabyte boards for years. They are my preferred brand.

I don't think I've ever ran any RAM which was on the QVL list and I've been building systems for over ten years.

As Bill points out though, ( Hi Bill, by the way.. :) ), as long as the RAM used is of a similar nature to RAM specified in the QVL list then chances are it will work fine.

I don't think I've ever ran any RAM which was on the QVL list and I've been building systems for over ten years.
Not sure I have either - that is, not specific brand and model number of listed RAM. But I do run RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

AM3+ is backwards compatible with some AM3 chips:

AM3+ is a modification of the AM3 socket. It has one additional pin for new Bulldozer-based AM3+ processors and is backwards-compatible with AM3 processors. It broke backwards-compatibility between AM3+ processors and AM2 and AM2+ motherboards because the processors do not support DDR2 memory.
Ref:
Socket AM3 - Wikipedia

I also checked the pdf for compatible AM3 processors as not all are compatible and yours is good to go:
cpu.JPG

https://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_3193.pdf

Motherboard website:
970 GAMING | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

AM3+ is backwards compatible with some AM3 chips:

Ref:
Socket AM3 - Wikipedia

I also checked the pdf for compatible AM3 processors as not all are compatible and yours is good to go:
View attachment 35232
https://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_3193.pdf

Motherboard website:
970 GAMING | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global

So that msi 970 motherboard will work for my cpu and gpu? AM3+ Just means it add's an extra pin and its compatible with am3 cpu's?

It probably doesn't matter but i though I'd take a look to see if the new RAM is on the compatibility list.

Unfortunately it isn't.

That doesn't automatically mean the new RAM won't work it's just that MSI haven't tested any modules of this particular RAM with this motherboard.
The RAM QVL list is here https://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_3193.pdf

As Bill and I both mention earlier in your thread that many of the RAM modules we've used haven't been on a list either but worked absolutely fine.

Back