Windows 8 Need this for an older version of Nero, but will it mess up Win8.1?

kkay

MSXML 4.0 Service Pack 3 (Microsoft XML Core Services)

I need to download this, to get an older version of Nero free to work. (you can choose not to use the toolbar) But when I try to click the icon, it fails to start the program. It gives this message:
unable to create XML parser instance
Please Reinstall Microsoft XML Core SErvices
(MSXML) 4.0 SP2 or higher

I read that if I try the MSXML 4.0 Svc Pack 3, it might work. The problem is, I don't know if it will work for Win8.1, or mess up my 8.1 version. If the file is in addition to, but not overwriting any current files like this, I would like to try it. But I don't want to mess anything up. I did create a system restore point just in case. But thought I was ask the computer folks before I tried this.

A system restore point could handle this but to make certain I would go for creating a full system drive image. You can do this by using something like Acronis True Image for which you can get a full working one month trial download. The image will need space of rather more than 50% of the space used on the system drive and may be saved on another partition of your internal drive or on an external drive.

I have an ISO Image made from a trial version of Macrium Reflect. Does anyone know if this would be a bad idea to do? I don't want to spend hours redoing my computer. I have never had to restore an image, or anything like that. Thanks for the help Pat. I still would like more info, if possible.

Macrium Reflect is a similar product to Acronis True Image so you could use that. Both have the advantage of completely imaging your entire system drive including all updates and installed apps to avoid you having that problem of spending hours "redoing your computer." To minimise the size of the image file it would be a good idea to run ccleaner to get rid of any junk files prior to imaging.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the system image had everything I needed in it. I am new to this.

Back