Windows 10 Network ID reverts to "Business"

FraidyMan

10 Pro identifies the network ID as Business regardless of being set (repeatedly) as a "home" computer.
The result is a morass of network connections and passwords that work then fail and change in inexplicable ways with every reboot. I have edited the registry, group policy, adapter properties, and other solutions proposed as the "right" fix for a nagging problem that I first saw reported in 2015.
So I am sick of trying, and MS have ignored the problem for long enough that I am not inclined to request help and in return, receive some kind of gaslighting bafflgab from yet another techhie.
So another strategy... run a .bat at startup to solve it in the interim.

I wonder if there is a command line option to set System Properties Network ID to "home" that I could run in a batch file at startup....

Any ideas?

The "network id" button is just a wizard to join a domain or workgroup. Under 'System Properties' it will tell you which domain or workgroup your computer is a part of.

System Properties shows me as a Workgroup member; no network shown. Why is Network ID insisting that I am in a business network? When I change to "Home" , my other computers show up. Do you have a command line switch I can use in a batch file?

It's not insisting anything. It's a wizard meaning the radio buttons default to that option and it's not implying anything about your system

Back
Top Bottom