Windows 7 Networking disconnects periodically (Is the issue Windows 7, router, or media player?)

Another path to the same thing is through Control Panel -> Network and Sharing -> Adaptor settings. Right click the wireless and select Properties then Configure -> Advanced

Thank you for all of the tips.....let me absorb all of this "info-overload" and try this! haha

So, I will try the following tonight:

1 - Double check my driver and make sure it's up to date (which I'm positive it is)
2 - Disable my AV and firewall
3 - Enable Flow Control
4 - Possibly try Windows 7 professional

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

I'll cross mine too... Looking forward to the results.

(FWIW ... I had a lot of issues with Ultimate that I don't have on Professional...)

Sorry for the delay!!

Well, I checked everything and still no luck. My driver is definitely up to date. I did also try to disable the AV and firewall.

One issue I did come across is that I did not have the enale flow control option on my wireless. It was available on the LAN driver but not wireless. Is this typical?

The only think (last resort for now) is to try Windows 7 Professional....unless you have another option first.

No problem on the delay... I had a couple of busy days too...

Two ideas come to mind...

In your router's wireless settings, make sure that CTS polling is enabled. This is one of those bizarre situations where a router setting can cause an apparent fault in a computer device. Clear To Send polling ensures no packet collisions or overruns (your laptop sending faster than the receiving device can handle). This may slow your wireless down a bit (abt 5%) but if it works, I'm sure you can live with that.

One other thought is that if you are running on batteries during these big transfers, the system may be switching Wireless settings at various battery levels to try to extend battery life... This is a setting in power management. My Toshiba (XP Pro) did that and it was plain enfuriating "Wireless is now connected" messages every time...

On the topic of switching to Win7 Pro... Yes, I do think it would be a good idea. As I mentioned before I had a LOT of issues with Ultimate, so I switched everyone to Pro and it's been a lot better. Look around here, most of the support appeals are for Win7 Ultimate even though Pro is outselling Ultimate.

I will look into the CT Polling feature, and test it out.

Let me ask you this......when I went from Vista to Win 7, it let me keep my existing files and programs. If I go from Ultimate to Professional, will I have that same option?

I'm glad you asked about this... If you did an "upgrade" from vista to 7 you may have also inherrited this problem (in latent form) from Vista.

Microsoft is a real pig for changing the way things work. I do some amateur coding and their Software Development Kit (SDK) details many cases where the same function call produces somewhat different results based on the operating system revision. It is entirely possible there is some subtle difference between win7 and Vista that is at the heart of your problem.

I doubt that "downgrading" from Ultimate to Professional will allow you to use the "upgrade" installer.

You will most likely have to do a format and "clean install"... which is a good thing, by the way. In fact, I would suggest it at this point...

Needless to say "Backup is your friend!". Make sure you have a second copy of all your data files on another system before proceeding; I would be so lost without my "Poop in a can" (external usb hard drive).

And of course you will need to reinstall all your programs... which is also a good thing.

Back