Networking Problem: XP Laptop cannot see Windows 7 PC - Help!

I have two computers at home on a wireless network - a Laptop on XP, and My Desktop which was on XP but is now running Windows 7.

I had a simple network for file sharing working fine - they are both on the MSHOME workgroup. Upon installing Windows 7 on my desktop, I added it to the MSHOME workgroup. When I go into My Network Places, it sees itself, and also my laptop which is running XP - I can read files from the laptop etc no worries.

However, my laptop cannot see my Windows 7 PC at all. All it sees is itself. I have no idea how, but at one stage it was seeing the Win7 PC, but when I tried to access it it asked me for a username and password - I don't have a password set up - and any guesses I tried failed. Now its not seeing it at all again.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Apparently this was a problem on Vista too, anyone know?
Thanks

iroken22

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Do you have windows XP Service Pack 3 installed? In Service pack three they included link layer topology discovery which is an add on so that the XP machine can see both VISTA and Seven

Yes SP3 is installed.

Any suggestions?

Is this not a problem with Windows 7, not XP?

iroken22

Extraordinary Member
Premium Supporter
Ok well first thing is you need to have folders that are shared on the windows 7 machine otherwise it wont show up. it was giving you the username and password because if you have shared folders on the 7 computer you did not set permissions for the other computer to access them. Go into the Network and sharing center>Change Advanced Sharing Settings> Turn Password Protection off. That way you wont have to enter a password to access it. If this doesnt help tell me and i will come up with other possiblities.

Cool I got it working! Thanks all!

Ok well first thing is you need to have folders that are shared on the windows 7 machine otherwise it wont show up. it was giving you the username and password because if you have shared folders on the 7 computer you did not set permissions for the other computer to access them. Go into the Network and sharing center>Change Advanced Sharing Settings> Turn Password Protection off. That way you wont have to enter a password to access it. If this doesnt help tell me and i will come up with other possiblities.
Created to say thank you as well.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.